11t sprocket

DomPro
DomPro Posts: 321
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Anyone know if its possible to buy a 11 tooth sprocket for a shimano cassette? I can see the 11t lockrings but it doesn't seem to come with the sprocket. Would prefer not to have to buy a new cassette at this stage.
Shazam !!

Comments

• what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    Are you meaning just an 11T sprocket to swap over with say a 12T thats already fitted?
  • DomPro
    Yes precisely, that can be done right?
    Shazam !!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DomPro wrote:
    Yes precisely, that can be done right?

Yes it can, but I believe you will need an 11 tooth specific, lockring.
    FWIW why would you do this?? You'll never use an 11. It will just sit out there and be of no use.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    think that besides needing a lockring that is for a 11t, you also must have a 12t as the second sprocket.

may be wrong...
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes youl need a new 12 tooth without integrated spacer as well.
  • DomPro
    Ha, right thanks. This probably isn't worth the trouble. I will just get another cassette.
    Shazam !!
  • dennisn
    DomPro wrote:
    Ha, right thanks. This probably isn't worth the trouble. I will just get another cassette.

Not trying to be an *sshole but I would urge you to reconsider the need and / or usefulness of an 11 tooth cog.
  • rake
    i concur.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I use my 11 tooth all the time. If you ride a compact then its worth having for any long descent or even a fast flat.
  • rake
    MatHammond wrote:
    I use my 11 tooth all the time. If you ride a compact then its worth having for any long descent or even a fast flat.
    when do you reach 40mph on the flat?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    dennisn wrote:
    DomPro wrote:

Not trying to be an *sshole but I would urge you to reconsider the need and / or usefulness of an 11 tooth cog.

Pretty useful for flat timetrials. I've found myself churning along a dual carriageway with a raging tailwind in 11x53 a lot more than I expected when I fitted the 11-21 cassette.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I haven't done all the gear inch calculations but I know how I ride, and I know that a 50/11 is a useful top gear and not something that I never use. I'm sure someone will come along and tell me that I should be riding at a higher cadence, but frankly I think that is up to me and I like to have the option of grinding a big gear.

And when do I hit 40mph on the flat? On a nice, long, smooth flat with a bit of a tailwind, I can hit high 30's (reckon I could reach 40 in a sprint but the need has never arisen). My gear of choice for that would be 50/11.
  • dennisn wrote:
    DomPro wrote:

Haven't you forgotten how much weight you'll save :D
  • dennisn
    MatHammond wrote:

:roll: :roll:
  • dennisn
    nmcgann wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    DomPro wrote:

Pretty useful for flat timetrials. I've found myself churning along a dual carriageway with a raging tailwind in 11x53 a lot more than I expected when I fitted the 11-21 cassette.

I've been known to install a 56-11 when I find that I'm going to have a tailwind.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You just need to go faster dessisn :wink:
    You need to be doing 120 rpm to hit 43.5mph on 50x11. On a 12 you'd be doing 40.
  • rake
    im confused why he has a compact if he goes them speeds on the flat.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If you dont have an 11t with a compact you wont keep up with your mates using standard chainsets and 12 ts
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I use a 50x11 quite regularly.
  • rake
    If you dont have an 11t with a compact you wont keep up with your mates using standard chainsets and 12 ts

not everywhere. steep hill?
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    just to add my tuppence for what it's worth - I've got 44-32 on the front of my commute bike and would like an 11t to give a bit more gearing. 44-11 not a huge gear, especially with 26 inch wheels. However, with 8-speed not having much joy finding a close spaced cassette: 11-28 is the narrowest range I can find (currently use 12-23).

Sounds like mixing and matching 12-23 and 11-28 won't work because of problems with the 12t. Pity as 8 speed is a nice set up - chains and gears last for yonks.
  • DomPro
    I use the 50x12 a lot when on slight declines in fact; wouldn't have asked about this if I didn't use it much.

I have cut a tooth off the 12t using a saw, thereby creating a 11t sprokit. Job done.
    Shazam !!