Commuting to work - leads to this!

Langman
Langman Posts: 178
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting to work for a year now and gradually we have built up a good group, its great to have numbers when you all turn up in lycra! Anyway one of the directors got on board so the giggles stopped.

This went further still when we came across a company that does corporate cycling stuff, like team building, charity rides and corporate events. We have signed up for a challenge - have a look - the office has never had such a buzz and we've not even done it yet! Its something newand different - and companies can combine for a challenge www.corporateascents.com

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Langman wrote:
    I've been commuting to work for a year now and gradually we have built up a good group, its great to have numbers when you all turn up in lycra! Anyway one of the directors got on board so the giggles stopped.

This went further still when we came across a company that does corporate cycling stuff, like team building, charity rides and corporate events. We have signed up for a challenge - have a look - the office has never had such a buzz and we've not even done it yet! Its something newand different - and companies can combine for a challenge www.corporateascents.com
    Ooh, which one are you doing? Say it's one of the alpine ones. That would be grand :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Langman
    Yep - we are doing Ventoux!

Track was tempting though.
  • Langman... I like you but you are clearly a marketeer for this company 'corporate ascents' as you've woven it in to a few threads I've seen on here. Absolutely no harm done anyway, it looks like a great business.
  • Langman
    I am pushing them I guess - I think its a great idea. Also been asking for advice.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Nice idea, but you're one of the lucky ones - I can't imagine working somewhere with more than 3 cyclists out of 100...

EDIT: Also, if you're getting your co-workers onto bikes surely it'd be better to do one of the many charity rides available?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3 regular bike commuters here....... and one guy from another office in teh same building!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Langman
    3's a team in my book. I think you can do stuff with teams from different companies as well so I think you can mix n match or compete against other teams - we looked at doing something on the track to race our suppliers.
  • 12 staff, 2 regular commuters, recent introduction of cycle to work has doubled the commuters to 4!

A group Charity ride will be the next stage.
    An Alpine pass would be awesome, but can't imagine work paying and allowing time-off!
  • Langman
    Yep thats the problem getting your employer to fund it....might need a cycling boss.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Only downside is if your boss is a bit on the lard-like side the "team building" in the mountains could be rather tricky. Hold back on pushing hard when you can or pretend your gears are slipping so Mr Donut doesn't feel outclassed by his junior employees?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Langman
    On the other hand a cycling mad boss - decides to dominate you all and prove how good he is and crap you lot are.

Pushing a fat boss (brown nosing) may help job prospects though
  • I saw info on this yesterday - been pestering bosses today to do a track challenge - might show them yet that I am good at something.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Langman wrote:
    On the other hand a cycling mad boss - decides to dominate you all and prove how good he is and crap you lot are.

Pushing a fat boss (brown nosing) may help job prospects though

Ventoux would kill everyone I work with - me included atm I'd imagine!
  • Langman
    I have been told the same by a number of people. Got some training to do me thinks
  • Never ridden the Alps - would love to, just training at going full on for about 2 hours.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Never ridden the Alps - would love to, just training at going full on for about 2 hours.

Which is pretty much what I'm having to do - well, short of "full on", but the idea being to replicate the intensity. High-intensity turbo sessions also help.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Langman
    Any idea which is the best electryolyte drink?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Langman wrote:
    Any idea which is the best electryolyte drink?

Best to test them to see which you and your stomach prefer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Langman
    Just done 2 hrs on the wattbike - man you sweat!
  • Yep - but Ventoux on a hot da could be worse.
  • Langman
    Problem is the weather here is not much good hopefully it will heat up soon. I am going to ride the peaks today - looking forward to some good hills.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Its pretty cycling nuts where I work, out of 200 people 13 are doing the Fred Whitton this year. The post room always has a wiggle box in! Lycra is the office wear of choice.

Bit different to my last company I worked at where I was clearly a freak for being on two wheels without a motor. :?
  • Langman
    Cycling is on the up - great news. When we first cycled into the office our Lycra was a real laugh, the group grew and people noticed the weight loss and others said things like 'I used to be into cycling' or 'I did a TT once' and soon joined in.