Trek 6000 bottom bracket issue

trek1
trek1 Posts: 33
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
I have a Trek 6000 (2009), and am having an irritating creak from the bottom bracket. From the non drive side. Just wondering what bottom bracket is on these? (can't find out from the web, not even Trek's website)
And mainly how to service it/stop the problem?
Thanks
Andy

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm pretty sure its a square taper, you can replace these for about 10 to 15 quid. Do you have a cycle tool set, you'll need a crank remover and a bottom bracket tool. If you don't have a set already its worth getting one of the cycle tool kits from halfords/argos/lidl as they have all this and more for the same money..

However, before you go replacing it, it might just need a clean, grease and reinstall.

If you do replace, you'll need to check the width, but prolly one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17473

Check also the bearings in your pedals

Also be aware that it is normally english thread (reverse) on one side and conventional on the other, so the righty tighty, lefty loosy aide memoir does not work (from memory its the drive side which is English thread - but I can't picture it in my mind right now.)

It could just need tightening, but to be honest it would be good to strip and clean at the same time, because if its loose muck will have got in.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    trek1 wrote:
    Hi all
    I have a Trek 6000 (2009), and am having an irritating creak from the bottom bracket. From the non drive side. Just wondering what bottom bracket is on these? (can't find out from the web, not even Trek's website)
    And mainly how to service it/stop the problem?
    Thanks
    Andy

take nice clear pictures of the crank then we can see what we are dealing with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    according to the trek website its a Shimano M442 - hence my comment
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    diy wrote:
    according to the trek website its a Shimano M442 - hence my comment

dont look to hard do you

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2009/archive/6000

it actually says Octalink

but untill the OP says what is fitted we are all guessing as anything could have happend to the bike. and as they say
    We reserve the right to make changes to the product information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to equipment, specifications, models, colors, and materials.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    I looked here:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... ies/6000e/

So its an M442-8 then? Not a M442..

but as you say either way if he wips the crank arm off and takes pic - we'll know for sure
  • Benno_Bro
    Benno_Bro Posts: 13
    diy - The link you provided is the 2010 model
    nicklouse wrote:
    We reserve the right to make changes to the product information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to equipment, specifications, models, colors, and materials.

Must happen a fair bit...my 6500 came with a Deore XT Rear Derailleur instead of the SLX on the spec