help getting realy annoyedd!!!!

rian
rian Posts: 91
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi got a downhil bike all built up, took it for a ride today and noticed the forks were realy stiff, i looked down and there was a sorta whit paste(my dad says it what happens to oil when mixed with water) and in makeing my forks stiff and stick alittle when coming back up, i have to put some realy hard force on them to make them compress. they arent realy expensive forks i think they are some cheep tripple clamps but are very fat and i messured and they have 180mm travle!! a little sticker on one leg says ZOOM dont know if that will help?
do you think they just need a service/ oil chang as the seals/ dust catchers look fine???
please help felloww mbuk'ersss !!!!
rian :?: :?: :?: :?: :arrow:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Jesus, spell and write properly.

Start again, explain in more detail, and give more info on the fork.
  • zoom forks in my experience are abit poo, so thats more than likely why they dont work. my friend has triple crowns on his saracen, and they move about 30mm at a push.

the white crap could be oil (this is what happens in car engines when the head gasket goes and water gets into the oil of the cylinders) or it could just be dust on the oil.

hope its a tiny bit helpful
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    i used to have zoom forks on an old cheaoy bike.

they were terrible. really basic pogo stick type forks, they also had a white gunk around them if i took off the rubber stantion covers. i thought it was grease. as they clearly had no damper so no need for oil.

maybe try putting up some pictures
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    No offence but most Zoom forks are sh*te. Worse than Suntour. And if your bike has Zoom forks I doubt it is a proper DH bike, probably a supermarket bike 'blinged up'.

What model forks are they? Any info, pics?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rian
    pictures of this DH bike? or the forks so we can see what we are trying to help with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rian
    its a club roost dh8 with 5th element shock ect the only realy shite thing on there is the forks i will just wait and get some junior t's or summin!
    cheers for the help!!!!
    p.s would post picture but cant lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, I tried sticking this in Babelfish, to translate it into English, or at least a language I could understand, but unfortunately, I can't figure out what the originating language is!
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Most Zoom forks have no oil, oil seals or spring. They have elastomers and grease inside. What usually happens is that due to a lack of internal bushes the rubber bungs (I won't call them seals), that hold in the grease, fail and you get a mixture of grease and water oozing out.
    There is nothing you can do other than undo the bolts that hold the legs together, pull them apart and repack them with grease. That will last about as long as it takes for you to compress the forks the first time you ride the bike. All a bit of a waste of time so it's time to knuckle down, behave yourself and go to the Bank of Mum & Dad.
    If that fails you could try Angela Merkel as she seems to be throwing money at hopeless causes at the moment.
  • rian
    Matt 24k wrote:
    Most Zoom forks have no oil, oil seals or spring. They have elastomers and grease inside. What usually happens is that due to a lack of internal bushes the rubber bungs (I won't call them seals), that hold in the grease, fail and you get a mixture of grease and water oozing out.
    There is nothing you can do other than undo the bolts that hold the legs together, pull them apart and repack them with grease. That will last about as long as it takes for you to compress the forks the first time you ride the bike. All a bit of a waste of time so it's time to knuckle down, behave yourself and go to the Bank of Mum & Dad.
    If that fails you could try Angela Merkel as she seems to be throwing money at hopeless causes at the moment.

thats funny
  • Hmm, I tried sticking this in Babelfish, to translate it into English, or at least a language I could understand, but unfortunately, I can't figure out what the originating language is!

"It is known to have scratched, corroded with hoelan, the small blue"

hmm.. pots and kettles :?
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    "It is known to have scratched, corroded with hoelan, the small blue"

hmm.. pots and kettles :?
    Not even close, unfortunately.

Anyway, that's just my sig, I'm not trying to ask for help deciphering my problem in an incoherent language. :roll:
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Did any of that help you get really annoyed? :lol:

Sorry, coudn't resist. Coat on and peddling.