Park & cycle in York?

fastbatard
fastbatard Posts: 137
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm from Sheffield and attended a training course today in the centre of York.
I drove in from the A64 and along Tadcaster Road into the City centre. I ground to a halt pretty much straight away and the last mile of my journey took over 30 mins. I actually quite enjoyed watching all the cyclists go by as I sat in the car and it got me thinking, when I come back next week why don't I chuck my bike in the car, park up as soon as I get off the A64, and cycle the rest of the way.
My question is can anyone recommend a good place for me to leave the car all day? I'm actually getting quite excited at the prospect of being able to do a small commute by bike in this wonderful, cycle friendly, city.
I do a daily 12 mile commute here in Sheffield and it would be so nice to escape the hills just for the day!!

Comments

• w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    I don't really know what York is like in the mornings but on the ring road there's a park and ride in a few places

http://www.york.gov.uk/parking/ride/

I've used it before on weekends, takes about 20 minutes or so to get into the centre.
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009
  • fastbatard
    Nice one! Thanks for that the Askham Bar park and ride looks ideal. It says the parking is free but does anyone know if this is dependant upon you buying a bus ticket? Can I just park the car for free, get my bike out and go? Bit cheeky I suppose but 1 less car in the city centre!
  • I used the Park and Ride last summer for pretty much the same reason as you - quickest way to get into the centre. Didn't need to buy a parking or a bus ticket.
  • fastbatard
    I used the Park and Ride last summer for pretty much the same reason as you - quickest way to get into the centre. Didn't need to buy a parking or a bus ticket.

Thanks very much, that's what I'll do then! York seems to be a very good city for cyclists.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Tadcaster Road is a nightmare. If you're gonna drive, I would suggest taking the A64 round to the East side of York and going into the centre down St Lawrence Street. Very rarely any traffic.

Or you could get the train. Only 50 minutes from Sheffield station and puts you smack in the middle of York.

York is a pretty good city for cyclists. When I moved away from home I lived there for four years. Well actually I suppose I still live there as I'm studying in Coventry during the week and stay with my girlfriend at weekends. There are a lot of cyclists in York - I suppose a lot of it comes from the university, both the students and the lecturers.
  • If you're parking at Askham Bar and fancy a nicer route into the city across the racecourse and along the river, then here's what I suggest:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3684176

Unfortunately, the council website seems to have other ideas about parking there :(
    you can park your car at any site except Askham Bar and cycle the rest of the way into the city.
  • fastbatard
    That looks like a nice route. Thanks for pointing out about the 'no cycling from Askham Bar'. Seems a bit strange that this is the only one you can't cycle from.

I wonder how they would know though, do you have to prove you got the bus to get out the car park? Not that I'd break any rules mind :wink:

Seems strange to me that they'd rather I took my car the whole way into the centre. Suppose it may have something to do with the college being close by.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Unfortunately, the council website seems to have other ideas about parking there :(
    you can park your car at any site except Askham Bar and cycle the rest of the way into the city.

oops. I park and cycle from that car-park occasionally and no-one's said anything ( I also use the one at Clifton Moor as a starting base for the occasional run up to Helmsley). The only sign I've noticed at Askham Bar is the inevitable 'Cyclists Dismount' sign on the side of the attendants cabin - ironically adjacent to a specific off-road cycle lane which runs from Tadcaster Road into the car park.

As AB is probably the smallest of the P&R sites and it seems to be the busiest I wonder if it's because the Council's lost the overspil parking on the old college site?

The designer centre on the junction of the A64 and A19's a fair alternative and the A19's probably a bit friendlier for cyclists as it's wider and, until you get to the centre, has less complicated junction layouts.

If you fancy a longer ride (and there's some great flattish high speed roads to the south and east of York you could park up in either Tadcaster or Wetherby (free town centre parking in both) and then cut along the back roads into York.

Bob
  • fastbatard
    I like the look of the Designer outlet option, I have to be in the centre for 9am so anything longer isn't an option unfortunately.
    Thanks for your advice.