Mavic Ksyrium Elite help

andy_f
andy_f Posts: 474
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Ordered the new Ksyriums and received them last week, on fitting the rear innertube I noticed that the valve hole was closer to one side of the rim than the other so sent it back beleiving it to be a manufacturing fault. I have just recieved an email from the company who supplied the wheel saying that this is how the rim is made up.
Has anybody else got the currnet Elites and if so does your rear wheel hole look off centre?
"Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Sounds v odd. FWIW on both the the Equipe and Race versions the valve hole is dead centre on my wheelsets.

Sorry to hijack yr thread but on the Equipe wheel this winter I had intermittent buzz from the rear when freewheeling at around 35kph; this would vanish as soon as I turned the pedal and has vanished altogether with the warmer weather. All theories welcome!
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    Andy

I have Ksyrium Elites on my 2009 Giant TCR Advanced1,and the valve hole on the rear wheel IS off centre (more to the drive side)

Never had any issues.

Regards

Mark.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    The profile of the rim is assymetric ie it looks lop-sided when viewed edge-on :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited April 2010
    My Shimano RS10 rear wheel has an asymmetric rear profile and an off-centre valve hole. Presumably to do with the uneven forces generated by dishing the rear wheel. Front is entirely symmetrical.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Thanks for the info lads.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • TurboMonkey
    TurboMonkey Posts: 116
    The noise you are getting sounds like a horrible wailing screech, which also is loud when cornering at speed?

This noise is created by the rubbing of the nylon bushing in the freehub. This can be a sign that its worn out. I suppose you could get some more life out of the bushing by taking the freehub apart and putting a thicker lubricant on. A quick way to check is to hold your cassette and try and rock it about the axle. Unfortunately you cant get spare bushings off mavic, a new freehub is something silly like £35. However im sure ive seen mavic freehub bushing copies on ebay or somewhere.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've had a set of 04 Ksyrium Elites and currently run a set of 08's. The holes are dead centre on mine. Does it make much difference though?

The noise.... The guy posting about using a thicker lube is kinda there, but it can't be worn out as it's new! The freehub should be lubed with Mavic mineral oil. Basically this is the same as 'Pedros Road Rage' lube. The noise sounds to me like the nylon rubbing on the pawl, suggesting that the Freehub's dry. When new mine were very quiet, as it gets noisier it's a sign that you need to put some more mineral oil in the freehub.

These are new wheels? Did you get them from an official Mavic dealer? Mavic dealers don't discount so if you got them cheap (?) perhaps they've not come from the official channels. Anyway, if you've any doubts on lubing yourself then just send them back! Have a look at the following link on how to do it http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... /logon.php

You need a login 'mavic -uk' and enter password as 'dealer'.

Have fun
  • ADIHEAD
    I've had a set of 04 Ksyrium Elites and currently run a set of 08's. The holes are dead centre on mine. Does it make much difference though?

The noise.... Think most long term users with the FTS freehub know about this one! It sounds the pawl running dry on the the nylon body. Does it get worse when you pedal backwards? The freehub should be lubed with Mavic mineral oil. Basically this is the same as 'Pedros Road Rage' lube which I bought for £3- £4 from CRC. As the other guy says, rock the big cog on the cassette to and fro and if it moves more than about 1mm from side to side, then either the bearing or the nylon bush is worn. You get get a new one from Pedalon for £35, Ribble list it for £30 but it's out of stock. As the other guy said, you can get copy parts, but what happens when you get it and find the tolerances are slightly out? You might not need one anyway so do the rocking test. If you google 'youtube mavic freehub' you get to watch an American guy demonstrate the problem.

Have a look at the following link on how to do it http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... /logon.php

You need a login 'mavic -uk' and enter password as 'dealer'. If you don't like the look of doing it yourself then a Mavic dealer should be well practiced!

Have fun
  • The noise you are getting sounds like a horrible wailing screech, which also is loud when cornering at speed?

This noise is created by the rubbing of the nylon bushing in the freehub. This can be a sign that its worn out. I suppose you could get some more life out of the bushing by taking the freehub apart and putting a thicker lubricant on. A quick way to check is to hold your cassette and try and rock it about the axle. Unfortunately you cant get spare bushings off mavic, a new freehub is something silly like £35. However im sure ive seen mavic freehub bushing copies on ebay or somewhere.

Does anyone no were i can get some nylon freehub bushing from a UK seller.

Please Help.
  • ADIHEAD
    I've seen them on ebay but why bother? You might get it and find it's not quite right. For £35 you get new bearings also!
  • The ones on ebay are from US seller so would have to pay a lot of tax on a low cost item.
    Yes i could buy a new freehub but £40 for Campagnolo version, but why when only the nylon bushing need replacing.

Maybe a could get a local plastic firm to make some nylon bushing to fit.
  • ADIHEAD
    Ah Campag hey? Sure Mavics are a pain. You've got more patience than me though if you'd go to the effort of getting it made! A friend of mine reckons if you just change the bearing then it pushes the bushing back to stop the rocking but I've not tried it. Again, £40 is a pain but what you spend in freehubs, you save in lack of spoke replacement and truing. I find them bombproof. My brothers' are 5 years old and never had the hubs opened. I wore the rims out on my old set but then I live in the Mendips and did 3 winters on them!
  • Mendips hey sounds like you are in my neck of the woods.

I Think new made bushings would be the way to go, maybe i could set up my own UK site selling them if i have to order a large min quatity.

Will inquire with plastic firm next week will let you know.
  • ADIHEAD
    Sure sounds good as there's lots of Mavic users around. Let me know if so as there's a hint of play creeping into mine. Plus I have an old freehub I could recon with it and a mate of mine gets the bearings for £8. You'll have to PM me as I don't get the email notifications!