Carbon

13»

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    supersonic wrote:
    Not sure what was used - some BSI but unsure of the standards.

The CEN regs are rather daft - very limited scope for the vastly different bikes we have. On one hand we may have an over engineered machine for bridleway pootles, or an under engineered one for dropping off cliffs.

Just found this

According to the CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations, the national standards organizations of the following
    countries are bound to implement this European Standard: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

so does this apply to bikes sold in that country or bikes manufactured in that country?

The question being, would a component manufactured in the US have to meet the CEN requirements if being sold in any of the above countries?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it is for where the company is located, not where it is made ie OnOne are based here, but build out in Taiwan: yet have the meet CEN.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I was under the impression that the CEN standards weren't actually enforced yet, and that the companies with frames passing CEN were future proofing themselves.

Is this incorrect?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Toasty wrote:
    Big trail bikes feel rock solid anyway, ever ridden a Mojo/Genius/Blur LTc? Far more solid feeling than a coke can thin butted aluminium frame. Never mind the cash saving cheap welding/hairline cracks issues.

4586420105_36c987f051.jpg

Long seatpost!

4586418029_192f4c4fd6.jpg

Bad idea, ate my words a bit on that one. Click for a bigger pic, or another shot here! Not sure if it's cosmetic, the clear coat has cracked in a few places. I'm gradually working my way through all the carbon bikes in the UK.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Not enough post in the seat tube?

That's a bit gutting, picture could be classed as NSFW!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bloody hell toasty, you sure know how to kill frames in that area!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    More than enough post in there, 410mm Thomson with more than an inch extra in there past the marker :)

Argh, so tragic, it's the worlds greatest bike! We're in the peaks this week, it was chomping down thousands of feet of hills. I still think it's just the clear coat cracking, it didnt go flexible like the Zaskar always felt, in fact I finished off another 15 miles of vicious peaks bridleways after noticing it.

Still, talking to Hans now, who seems to be fantastic :) I'm not reading too far into it this time, had this been a Lapierre or my Meta, no one would have blinked an eyelid ;)

Funny though isn't it, I've had that Meta years and defended it through thick and thin regarding the "cracking" issues. Every other bike I own seems to be falling to bits but it's still standing strong (and getting far more abuse than the rest!)!