Windproof or waterproof

vernthemerciless
vernthemerciless Posts: 47
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
So as a fairly new roadie and with the weather heading into bleaker territory again, I'm thinking about getting some emergency equipment for when it rains.

Problem is I can't work out whether I'd be better off with someting 100% waterproof or a jacket that's less waterproof but more breathable and simply windproof. It does need to be around £50 and pack down small enough to go in a jersey though. I'd probably go for the DhB one in this months Cycling plus because it seems to do both fairly well, but they've sold out of my size.

I was thinking waterproof but I spoke to a guy in the LBS today and he recommended just a windproof because he said even if you are a bit wet after 20mins keeing the wind of you will keep you warm anyway.

What's your opinions?
The bike's fine, it's the engine that needs an upgrade.

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    +1 for wind proof. I use a waterproof in winter but for three seasons its only good for boil in the bag.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... gn=froogle

Is worth a look - packs really small.
  • I use an Endura windtex jacket (its a club jersey) which is apparently waterproof and windproof. It keeps me as warm and dryer in whatever weather as the supposedly breathable jentex waterproof jacket I used to wear.
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    +1 for the montane featherlite. I have used one, with a merino base layer and short sleeved jersey in temperatures down to about -3 and been fine. They are really light and breathable and also keep a fair bit of rain out before leaking. I have found with a waterproof you end up getting wet from sweat anyway so being warm is what counts for more.
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I have the Gore jacket which I think is both and seems to work very well. But if I had to choose Id say Windproof. Unless your caught in a downpour, a windproof should keep you dry enough , and above all warm.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Anything for £50 that is "waterproof" is likely to be of the boil-in-the-bag variety and therefore unlikely to allow the degree of breathability to make it comfortable for prolonged use. I'd stick with a decent windproof - many have surprising degree of waterproofness - it's often that they lack the taped seams and therefore expect some seepage in prolonged showers. I'm not a fan of the Montane, unless you consider ill-fitting and flappy nylon to be a good look.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..