Who is the phantom poo bagger?

2»

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    A Forestry Commission run woods near me (with a pretty good mountain bike reputation - Chicksands/Rowney Warren) has signs up asking people not to pick up poo and put it in bags.

They have a kick or flick rule, and ask you to flick or kick the poo out of the footpath and into the undergrowth. At first I thought this was a bit strange, but I guess they got fed up with bags of poo lying about.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Or they decided it will decompose reasonably quickly whereas poo bags don't? Seems a sensible policy to me, it is only an issue if it is somewhere people are likely to step or fall in it. That said might get smelly around popular dog walking routes.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Dog poo's a nuisance if you step in it, and a potential danger if you play in it (seem to remember something about a bug in it can make you go blind - a particular problem if you let your dog crap in kids' sand pits etc.), so on that basis, I can see the sense in the forestry commission just asking you to flick it into the hedgerow - it'll decompose pretty quickly and give some nutrients back to the forest.

Certainly doesn't work in a rural environment though!!

Just a thought though - are you sure it's poo in these bags - I mean - just playing devil's advocate - it could be something else?! Maybe people are bagging small shrews instead?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    TommyEss wrote:
    Dog poo's a nuisance if you step in it, and a potential danger if you play in it (seem to remember something about a bug in it can make you go blind . . . .
    Yep, Toxocariasis. Can also cause brain damage in-utero. Nasty business :evil:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "Stick'n'flick" (implying that you don't have to touch it yourself) is a common policy - common sense should make it fairly clear where it can apply safely.

If only common sense was more common.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else seen those sad cases who go around putting little flags in dog poo on the pavements? Yes, it's anti-social to leave it behind but do people really think putting flags in it will help?
    Ho ho - I've ranted about that one too!
    ColinJ wrote:
    It was a lovely day and it should have been a fine walk but yet again we discovered that long stretches of the path were covered in dog crap.

Somebody has been going along sticking little flags in it saying “Please pick up your dog’s poo” but I think that it is a hopeless gesture – selfish, stupid people are not going to see that and suddenly think “Oh dear, I hadn’t realised that it was a problem.” No, they will think what they do now – “My dog gives a shit, but frankly mate – I’m afraid that don’t!”

Dog owners who don’t ‘pick up’ should be set upon by large men armed with baseball bats. A quick blow to the back of the knees will knock a miscreant to the ground where (s)he can have her/his face shoved in the shit left behind for the rest of us to step in or ride through. After that, frogmarch them to the nearest ATM and force them to withdraw £250 for an on-the-spot fine. For a second offence fine them £1,000, take their dog(s) away from them, ban them for life from dog ownership, and take their car away from them and crush it!

Yes – I’m angry! :evil:
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172
    edited April 2010
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else seen those sad cases who go around putting little flags in dog poo on the pavements? Yes, it's anti-social to leave it behind but do people really think putting flags in it will help?

Ha, what a great idea !

I don`t mind becoming a sad case - where could I get these poo specific flags?

What about circling the poo-chicanes with some day-glow road marking paint?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    i'm a responsible poo picker for 3 of the dopey blighters and I've had to resort to carrying a carrier bag round to put the poo bags in to take home because there are less and less street bins all the time. dunno whether its not replacing them after after vandalism or some sort of pseudo anti terror thing (Manchesters excuse when the commonwealth games rolled in) but it's very hard to find a bin on any of my street walks with them now and theres no dog bag specific ones at all.

I don't condone people leaving bags about the place but I can understand why they do.
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172
    Don`t be fooled by what looks like some good intentions

good_20dog.jpg

This dog is actually spreading his mess with a rake!