New brakes - can't decide

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I've got a Specialized Tricross Sport which has the worst brakes in the world. They are Tektro Oryx cantilevers and every review i've read of the bike says "good bike, dangerous brakes" - i agree.

I was thinking of getting some calipers as i've put narrower road tyres on (28c's). I like to do a bit of touring though and if I want to put 32c tyres on i'm not sure if there will be enough space - can anyone advise please?

My other option was V-brakes but then I need the adapters (I have Sora STI levers) which puts the price up a fair bit. I'm not overly bothered about the extra weight cos i don't race.......I just want to be able to stop!!

The other alternative is some decent cantilever brakes - does anyone know of any if the other options are non runners?

Thanks
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    A change of pads to Kool Stops may well solve your problem if you're on a tighter budget. The original pads on my Tektro (caliper) brakes were pants.
    Cycling weakly
  • ricktabor1
    'Kool Stops' eh - i've never heard of them - thanks for that Skydog. I'll check them out on t'internet.

What about calipers on 32c tyres - it that a no go-er?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The main problem with the Tricross is the flexy fork steerer - under braking load they simply flex too much which leads to judder. The best solution is to fit an 'uphanger' cable stop for the front brake to the fork crown and ditch the one under the stem - like the latest 2010 model. Softer brake pads like Koolstop give more bite, but don't last as long. An 'uphanger' is about £7
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ricktabor1
    Cheers monty,
    You definately know your stuff. I'll give it a whirl.

Any answers on the caliper question? What is the max tyre size for calipers?
  • monkeyjo
    monkeyjo Posts: 54
    I had those brakes on my tourer and they really are rubbish.
    I tried lots of pads but in the end gave up on them.

I've since replaced them with a set of tektro 520s and it's miles better.