Vittoria Open Corsa evo cx11 Good or Bad

what brakes
what brakes Posts: 328
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Just purchased a set of these at reasonable rate but they seem to get a mixed bag of ratings and most say they are great if you like punctures!

The ones i have are the 320tpi ones in red so are the fastest one you can get! :roll:

So whats your opinions on them? They will be for my good bike which will be for special events etc.

Cheers

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    tubs, or clinchers?
    I have tubs, but not used yet. :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Good in the dry. I have the red ones too. No punctures yet, but I've only done a couple of hundred miles on them so far.
  • The Corsa Evo 2 CX 320Tpi is the best tyre I've ever used by far. Essential it is a tub but cut open, so is very supple. They are also my "best bike" tyre.

The downsides are that they wear very fast, I get about 3-3500km on a pair.

I've found them no worse for punctures than anything else and I live in an area strewn with flints and gravel on the road. However wouldn't be my choice for a winter tyre.
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    They are the Clinchers.

Thats alleviated a few nerves that i had with them....

The sidewalls feel almost like paper with no rubber on them at all, Thats what first put the doubt in my mind. Yes i know the sidewalls dont make contact with anything but its just one of those things that made me think "did i do the right thing" :roll:

I wouldnt have said 3-3500k to be classed as fast wear! now if it were 1-2000k i would agree! :wink:
  • True. Some people like to get big mileage from tyres though.

At about £35 per tyre it's 1p per Kilometre per tyre roughly, so every 50km costs you a quid.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    When I first tried them I had a bad experience. Punctured twice in a week and destroyed the tyre in the process. :evil:

This year I thought I'd try them out again and I'm convinced. Very smooth, incredibly supple (hands down beat my usual GP 4000S) and I've been riding and racing them most days for 6 weeks with no problems.

I'm not convinced that they grip quite as well as GP 4000S or Pro3's but they squeal when they're on the edge of their grip so you know how hard you can brake. Over all I rate them higher as a race tyre. Wouldn't aim to commute on them regularly though as I don't see them lasting on London roads.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Bought them to go on good bike which for races and training when the weather is decent.

No punctures and i've done about 600-700miles on them so far. Few days I have been out in the wet with them as well, and they offer up a lot more confidence in those conditions than my GP4000S tyres ever did.

Caveat to all that is that i went for 25mm, coming from 23mm GP4000S.
  • very nice tyres, until i rolled them over a massive sharp rock which rippsed a 1/4 inch hole in the sidewall, no tyre could have stopped that though. would still by them for imminent race wheels when bonus is paid up shortly .. hurry up accountants please.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    use em on my tt bike.go!od tyres