Bike brands not in UK

godihatehills
godihatehills Posts: 237
edited April 2010 in MTB general
can anyone think of any significant brands without current Uk distribution?
Dekerf is one that springs to mind .... any others?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    would not call Dekerf significant.

just smallish doing custom build options.

and so many options it is a pain.

most brands are available anyway via the net.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    love to see the peugeot brand back in the uk.
  • dekerf certainly have a cult following- all yo u need do is have a butchers at the singletrackworld lot!
    regardless of the internet tho - an others youd liket to see brought back?
  • nicklouse
    none most went for a good reason.

they were doing well and got bought or licensed to a big company to be made...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse thanks for your help.....

maybe as a pointer....

pronghorn?
    transitions bikes?
    tomac bikes?
    knolly?
    urge helmets?

all great products until recently with no uk distribution.
    only now coming (back) into the uk -there must be plenty of others that are still unknown what would be great is if people such asyour self who are abroad could let me know if there are any decent brands exclusive to that country - Avanti in Australia/ Nz for example.... I cant beleive there are no decent brands elsewhere and what we have is all there is to have....
  • Maybe you should ask someone who's not currently residing in the UK.............

...oh wait, you already did that.....
  • nicklouse
    avanti well no comment as i do not rate them after the split, in fact i have not rated them for a long time.

nope cant think of any that would do will in the UK as most people look to UK/US for their bikes but on the net.

Orange are not imported here anymore as they did not sell.
  • ok so if people are looking to the states for bikes but using the net - which brands - presumably they wouldnt have uk distribution otherwise theyd be redirected as with spesh, trek etc.
  • nicklouse
    no cost..

you can buy anything from anywhere.

hell I know people who save money even after the costs of flights...

But lets put this another way around

why are you so interested in what brands people would like to see back in (or in the UK)

as Most all come out of the same factories in the Far East even if that is as a tack welded frame that is then finished in the USA or where ever...
  • Im looking at a bit of market research...
    is it worth investing years of hard earned savings on a dream?
    I had a commencal beofre they were distributed in uk - but had no cash to bring them in - I saw lapierres develop , had no cash .... put in a bid to Urge and missed the boat by a week ....
    its tough trying to find foreign brands without having foreign exposure to spot new or returning product lines/ companies.
  • Well you can still get Klien in the US but i don't think you can here anymore :(
  • nicklouse
    godihatehills
    Dont do it. it does not work.

the internet has changed a lot of things.

you either need big cash and a good distribution to hit the shops that dont have internet customers.

also have a look at who owns who in the UK distribution business.

PS: when i say look i mean a very close look.

going back to Dekerf. How would you invest in stock?

how would you guess what size and custom colour your Potential customer might want.

You dont do do it to order. Oh lets just order direct.....

If you want to make money in the bike industry look at servicing. Not MTBs but shopping/commuting bikes.
  • dynastarg9
    dynastarg9 Posts: 103
    How about Avanti? World famous in NZ!
    http://www.avantibikes.com
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Polygon Bikes.

http://int.polygoncycle.com/country.html

I think they are an Indonesian company ( there is certainly a factory near Jakarta), but are sold and marketed through out South East Asia and Australia and many other places.

I managed to get one to test on trails near Jakarta a few years ago after along chat with there marketing guys on there stall at the Singapore motor-show.

The bike i got was a AM style Full suss, with Fox forx and shox, full XTR groupset and a Mavic wheelset.

I remember thinking the fame build quality was to a very high standard and finish. And due to the strong exchange rate at the time, the asking price was under £2000, which was very cheap for a bike of its spec.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    chick0 wrote:
    Polygon Bikes.

I think they are an Indonesian company ( there is certainly a factory near Jakarta), but are sold and marketed through out South East Asia and Australia and many other places.

I managed to get one to test on trails near Jakarta a few years ago after along chat with there marketing guys on there stall at the Singapore motor-show.

The bike i got was a AM style Full suss, with Fox forx and shox, full XTR groupset and a Mavic wheelset.

I remember thinking the fame build quality was to a very high standard and finish. And due to the strong exchange rate at the time, the asking price was under £2000, which was very cheap for a bike of its spec.

would they be made in the giant factory or the like?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • chick0
    edited April 2010
    Hercule Q wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    Polygon Bikes.

would they be made in the giant factory or the like?

I was told back in 2008 by the marketing people that they were hand made, by Polygon, in a factory near the airport, outside Sidoarjo, Indonesia..

Is the "Giant" factory not in Taiwan?
  • nicklouse
    Giant makes in more than one place/country
  • issacforce
    issacforce Posts: 112
    what about the KESTRAL brand they are not in uk but a lovely bike
  • chick0
    nicklouse wrote:
    Giant makes in more than one place/country

From this information, it looks like its Insera Sena (Surabaya Bicycle Industries) the owner of the brand Polygon that build the bikes..

http://www.ausbike.com.au/exhibitors/polygon-indonesia