Oversize handlebars and stem with 1" steerer

El Diego
El Diego Posts: 440
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
My bike has a 1" steerer and the smaller 26" type bars. I would really like to change the bars to oversize. Would it be ok to use an oversize stem and bars with a shim? Is there any performance implications of this set up? Thanks in advance for you advice.

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Do you mean to use a shim on the steerer to enable you to use 1 1/8th stems - if so, no problems at all. They are sometimes even supplied with stems (e.g. ritchey wcs stems comes with the shim included).
    You might need to get a bigger top cap to the one youe are using now if you have the stem right at the top of your steerer.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The stem to steerer shim is very common and won't present a problem of any kind.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    It's no problem, but it's a waste of time as well. You won't get any benefit from oversize bars and they probably will look worse on a 1" steerer, if this is the only rationale for changing
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IMO the differential in size between a standard bar and stem and oversize is barely perceptible to the eye in the majority of cases with modern frames - what you do get is a bigger choice in terms of bars and stems e.g. a compact bar in 26.0mm dia simply doesn't exist.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..