New Forest routes. Where to start from?

Gwaredd
Gwaredd Posts: 251
edited May 2013 in Routes
Hi all. Planning on an all dayer this Sunday in the New Forest. I have been before & started at the Rockford/Linford area. Whilst it was OK, we quickly ran out of route, so this time I'm looking to start the other side of the A31.

Any recommendation where to start from (Emery Down, Bank, Clayhill etc) & routes I could take?

Comments

• Gwaredd
    Well, that was interesting. Or not as the case may be. The New Forest is Huuuge, but there seems to be no trails (off road that is) really. We covered a fair old distance from Minstead to Burley & back to Lyndhurst, but found nothing technical of any note. Any promising looking trail entrances abruptly ended in dense wood.

It's a shame though, as some parts are very reminiscent of Afan (particularly Penyhdd) & because of the size of the place, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a really good XC loop. There are plenty of climbs & descents too.

It seems a real missed opportunity, especially as we have no MB trail centres down south.
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    Only just found your forum. If your ack in the area again i can give you some nice places to ride, some routes etc linking lots of inclosures with down hill sections etc and nice scenery. I live in New Milton, 10 mins from Burley and ride every week in and around the forest.

Drop me a mail and i'll get some maps sorted for you.

This might interest you http://www.southernxc.net/default.asp?action=events

The 3rd round of the Southern XC series is being held at Crow. That might give you a good route.

Cheers for now!
  • KDX
    KDX Posts: 13
    Interesting!

I've stayed in Walkford on holiday a few times and like Gwaredd I've always struggled to find anything to ride in the New Forest. Nothing obvious appears on the OS map round there so are the routes your on about "off piste" as it were or private, club site etc?

Would love to find some good riding around Burley. I usually just ammuse myself riding around the smaller country lanes greatful that at least you've got some hills (I'm from Cambridgeshire - were very deprived of hills round here).

Cheers

Rich
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    i've done a couple. nothing too techy but at least it's a route!!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/re ... ial-burley

planned one as well but not managed to get out and do it...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/leadden-hill
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Gwaredd
    Bah - we were a stones throw from Crow Hill - just didn't know it at the time! :lol:

It does put our Forestry Commission to shame though, especially when you look & see how successful Afan is.

Be nice to have a trail centre or the like round here that isn't 2hrs + away.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We ride in the New Forest and there are LOADS of good trails - you just need to know where to find them :wink:

There are very technical sections and some fabulous singletrack trails...... Ok, its not exactly the Alps but it's very good MTBing!

We actually ride with a group once a week on Wednesday nights, meeting in Fordingbridge for a few hours xc riding. It's a mixed group of all abilities, PM me if you would like more details :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Gwaredd
    Be great if there was some kind of map or waymarker for these trails. We just bumbled around lost most of the day!
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    Will try and plan something for you guys to have a go at if you like. What kinda distance?

If you want a cracking days ride, take a trip to the Isle of Wight. Cost involved tho, so not everyones cup of tea. :D
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    miss notax wrote:
    We ride in the New Forest and there are LOADS of good trails - you just need to know where to find them :wink:

There are very technical sections and some fabulous singletrack trails...... Ok, its not exactly the Alps but it's very good MTBing!

We actually ride with a group once a week on Wednesday nights, meeting in Fordingbridge for a few hours xc riding. It's a mixed group of all abilities, PM me if you would like more details :D

might have to take you up on that offer one week!!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • nfmtb
    nfmtb Posts: 2
    The New Forest has an abundance of good trails, although it is only legal to ride on specified boring cycle routes.

A group of us meet every Tuesday evening somewhere between New Milton/Sway for an 'unorganised' ride with an emphasis on fun technical singletrack. We ride around 20-30 miles. We also meet up at weekends sometimes. You can find my email address on our website http://www.nfmtb.com

You could also check out segments on Strava, although you will notice that 90% of the segments are roads, others can be great fun.