Ambrosio Excellight Rims on Hope 3 hubs - any good?

whereisthurso
whereisthurso Posts: 187
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Post Deleted

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I have that same build, although I've recently sold them to a mate.

The rims are excellent
    The hubs are okay - one bearing in the rear was a bit tight and needed knocking out and re-fitting, and the clicky freehub is annoying IMO
    I had them built by Paul Hewitt using DT aerospeed spokes and prolock nipples. Stronger than the aerolites (and cheaper) but still aero.

If I was building a pair again I'd maybe go with other hubs I think - PMP, Royce or Dura Ace probably, depending on price and how I felt on the day.

Having said that, I've just bought some DA 7850 SL and they're excellent.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Yeah the wheels i have just now have the campagnolo buzz and while it doesn't irritate me it might be nice to have some stealthy quiet ones for a change.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The noise of Hope hubs I can put up with on an MTB but no chance on a road bike, I'd use Campy record hubs instead (or Dura-Ace if running a Shimano setup)
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I have Excellight rims on Record hubs with Sapim CX ray spokes.
    I'm 88kg and they are fine with me.
    I spend alot of the time out of the saddle climbing and gotta say they don't flex hardly at all.
    Hope hubs are very noisy which is exactly why I wont use them, my record are so quiet in comparison
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I have Hope Pro 3's on Mavic Open Pros and I don't mind the noise but the rear wheel is going back to Hope next week so they can check the bearings for me after only about 1,000kms. In fairness Hope have been really helpful about getting it looked at - so hopefully they will sort it out. I would consider Ultegra hubs if you don't want to go higher end price wise - I would like to try a pair of Excellights next time - but at this stage don't know if I would choose the Hope's again. My Easton wheels (hubs) run miles better and smoother - different types of wheels and price points though in fairness.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/