Bike bags - which is best compromise?

I am the god of hell fire
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi

Im flying out to France this year and taking my pride and joy on a plane which is a first for me

Ive been looking at bike bags and Im keen to get some opinions

As far as I see it they are all a compromise
What I need is as follows:

It must actually protect my bike - and at 58cm it must fit in too :)
I will be taking my race wheels - these must be protected too (Im guessing theyre the fragile weak link)
I need to duck under 20kg total weight of bag and bike
Ive prebooked a bike and paid extra but the bag preferably shouldnt give me any airport aggro by being too big etc
It must be durable - Ive heard some bags fall apart after a few trips

Cost flexible but not to be ignored

Im currently finding the Polaris bike pod hard to ignore

Many thanks

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    The bike pod will offer substantially more protection than a bag so would make more sense in my opinion.

Have you considered hiring a hard shell case? It'll offer plenty of protection and be cheaper for a one off trip.
  • Thanks for the reply

Its the 20kg thing which puts me off a hard case
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I took my MTB to Sardinia in a cardboard box like the type that bikes get delivered to shops in. Cost = £0 Just include a roll of gaffa tape to make the box good for the return trip.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    dodgy wrote:
    I took my MTB to Sardinia in a cardboard box like the type that bikes get delivered to shops in. Cost = £0 Just include a roll of gaffa tape to make the box good for the return trip.

+1

When we go to majorca, we just get a cardboard bike box from the LBS - tonnes of parcel tape around the corners & edges for extra armouring and a couple of stripes of "FRAGILE " tape for good measure. - recommend strenghtening the hand holes for moving the box to stop them tearing

wrap the frame and components in pipe lagging from B&Q for £3.50 for a 5m pack will do all tubes / fork legs and cover all components.

Leave bacl wheel in frame - pad rear mech and qr bolts so they dont get damaged / punch hole in box - get front fork spacer from LBS for nowt....

front wheel in a padded wheel bag - some towels / etc can add some extra protection - all up, the bike and box is about 12kg - not has a problem
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Here's a tip that I've heard people have used but I've never used myself, oh no sirree.

When you are asked to weigh the bike box on the scales keep a foot underneath it and support some of the weight with that foot. You can make the box weigh as little as 10 kgs using this techniquie. :wink:
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    ps... we pay extra to take the bike and as "sports equipment". i'd check with your carrier and get it confirmed in writing that there is no size limit to their checked baggage. they can be awkward at the best of times

I can't be bothered with the chance they get arsey...its up to you, however.

usually an additional £20 - £30 each leg.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've used a CRC bike bag, with an LBS cardboard box inside, to give extra strength.
    Whilst getting the box from LBS do not forget to get the little plastic braces that new bikes come with, they fit between the front and rear drop outs, to stop your frame being crushed!
    I've never had a problem with weight, even when carrying a full sus MTB, and I carry tools (inc Track Pump) and most of my kit in the bag, too!

I travel all over the world in my job, and the biggest tip I could ever give would be to treat check-in staff with respect... You know it makes sense! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!