Campag front mechs

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
What's better - 10 speed Campag Record front mech (ie 2008 new old stock) or current Centaur. Been told the latter is smoother shifting. Price the same for either. Opinions gratefully received asap! :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Record. I have two of them. They work flawlessly, and look the business. Front shifting is super quick and precise, especially with the QS version (from 2007/08 I think). Three clicks and you're done. I even bought an extra as a spare because they are so good.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's the shifter that controls the smoothness of the change rather than the mech itself - you can pick up some bargains on the older model Record ones and they look a lot better than the Centaur.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thanks for the advice gents - Monty slightly too late but good to confirm. I have bought a bike with Centaur but was offered a free upgrade to NOS Record 10 speed (not QS) due to supply shortages of Centaur. The suggestion was that the new Ergo shifters might not gel well with the earlier front mech but we tried the Record mech and it was fine. Besides, not too expensive to revert to Centaur later if I really wanted to.

I now have Centaur carbon levers and cranks and Record mechs. All looks very nice! 8)
    Faster than a tent.......