Twilight

bike-a-swan
bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Anyone else find riding in the twilight a bit spooky?

Just been out for a quick night(ish)time blast, my first solo since the middle of winter, but for the first half an hour it was twilight. Haven't ridden in it for ages, and I'd forgotten how spooky it can be- the things you sort of half see on the corner of your vision that make you jumpy. Or am I being a pansy?

Just to reclaim some man points, riding in the full dark doesn't generally bother me at all...
Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Just watch for low hanging tree branches :roll:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    "How many men does it take to change a lightbulb...?"
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    "... None. Real mean aren't afraid of the dark."
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The sparkly vampires always put me off my riding.
  • desmosedici
    desmosedici Posts: 117
    It could be due to the brain's habit of wanting to overlay patterns and make sense out of what it's seeing. In the twilight, where the eye would only get poorly lit glimpses of objects, the brain's desire to translate what it's seeing into something recognisable might explain the "spooky" feeling.

Please excuse half baked theory, I haven't had my coffee yet.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    dark's not a problem, lights banish those ghosts (although I don't nightride alone, that is DEAD spooky). Twilight is when I feel most likely to crash / hit some unseen stick/rock/axe-wielding-rapist
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Twilight is the best. How long can you last before you have to turn the lights on? Muhahaha!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    "... None. Real mean aren't afraid of the dark."

True, that. :D
  • Hmm bit disappointed I thought this thread was going to be about the twilight series of books/films :( Just reading Breaking dawn atm. Back to bike though- never done a night ride on my own dont think I would either. I commute at night but its perfectly fine.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    LOL my missus read those , i picked one up scanned the first couple of pages and asked her why she was reading a childrens book :wink:

twilight is funny and i agree with others: i find it trickier than full darkness...the half light plays tricks on the eye/mind not spooky but more likley to mistake a root for a shadow.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Not spooky, but shadows created by turning your lights on can cause some wierd decisions on lines.
    Craig Rogers
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    tsenior wrote:
    LOL my missus read those , i picked one up scanned the first couple of pages and asked her why she was reading a childrens book :wink:

They are good books.... :oops:

(I am ashamed to admit that I fall into the category of a middle-aged woman who should know better reading books for teenagers and ogling the bloke in the DVD's :lol: )

And yes - twilight riding is spooky! Especially in the New Forest with lots of beasties ready to jump out at you :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    X-isle: thats what i was trying to say but far better phrased 8)

miss notax: I do tease my wife alot :wink: