Retro racing!

cyclistbruce
cyclistbruce Posts: 88
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Just a thought, would anyone be interested in a closed circuit race, where entries are only accepted for pre-1990 bikes!? So we're talking steel frames, downtube shifters, toe clips etc. Defintly no carbon,STI, cliipless pedals, cycle computers, power taps and other such new-fangled wizardry!

Probably somewhere in the South of England, with a small entry fee, which will go towards prizes. Like I say, just a bit of a crazy notion caused by watching some old TDF footage! But if enough people are up for it, could be interesting! Drop me a line to let me know if its worth us pursuing. Then get on EBay!!

Comments

• I think you will find that clipless pedals were around long before 1990!

I was racing on Look pedals in 1986. Think carbon frames were just coming available late eighties too, with the TVT ones. :D
  • OK my dates might not be completely accurate, but you know what I mean!!!

Besides if I said pre 80s people would be getting their flares caught in the chainring!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I can't see it being a big draw to be honest. I quite like retro road bikes and it's a nice idea but I think you might struggle - racing in clips and straps might put people off - it'd put me off anyway. I'd be up for a UK Eroica type event though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • You cold be right about the pedals thing, was just thinking it would be virtually impossible to get shoes which would take the old metal cleats. Otherwise it would have to be trainers and toe clips, which isn't quite the same!

I have just been reprimanded by my wife who says if we organise something like this the proceeds should go to charity. So thats another possibility....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    My 1983 bike now has 105 shifters and look pedals.
    I threw away my sidi wooden sole shoes and white cleats 2 years ago and sold the shimano durace aero pedlas to someone in USA for £30 :D
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I'd give it a go. Either a RR or a L'eroica type event. Any excuse to give the old Raleigh a
    proper workout. I've got a 1986 Raleigh 753 Team Pro. That's got old clipless pedals on it....no good for L'eroica though.

Good luck, hope it happens.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    My only bikes that old are a Harrison fixed or one of those cheap Peugeots in Carbolite 103 with rusted steel wheels and chunky tyres fitted.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got the bike (1983 Gios Aerodynamic) the kit and an entry to L'eroica plus a race license but I'm not sure I'd want to combine all three! A sportive-type event might be more suitable - give the hours and money I've spent on the restoration I'd want this to be a distinctly low risk event.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Other than the pedals I've got my bike ready to go and it will be used for some racing on BC events that are held on the more 'high risk' circuits as soon as I'm fit enough. Early 90's Ribble 653 frame and forks, 7 speed, down tube shifters - proper bike :wink:
  • daj
    daj Posts: 139
    try www.retrobike.co.uk might get some interest 8)