searching for holy land at East London

armymankin
armymankin Posts: 213
edited April 2010 in Routes
Hi all,

I live in docklands, london. for long i have been searching for a nice local woods to get a short offroad ride after work. I used to go to richmond park fairly often, however it is now too long to ride to since I moved to the east side.

Wonder if any one knows there is a nice little trail around the east? I know epping would be ideal, but it is still a bit far as I have to ride there and back.... (yes, I do not own a car)

heard there are some hills near woolwich, i aint sure though.

cheers

Comments

• armymankin
    no one rides in east london?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    I think you're a fair way from any decent sized trails where you are - Epping might be the closest good stuff to you unfortunately. Also anything on the south side of the river will mean going through a tunnel and getting gassed, or going a long way round to get to a bridge...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • armymankin
    yea, i know it sucks.... darn that i do not drive.
    i was about to give up... but then I hear some people mention there are abit of hills and woods near Woolwich... which would be just do-able for me on bike.

now I cant have much fun other than just riding down stairs.... how sad
  • Stevo_666
    I suppose there's always urban MTB'ing in Docklands....if you can get across the river then there are some decent woods near me called Beckenham Place Park (it's Kent but not as far as you think - look at a map and its about 8 miles directly south of the Isle of Dogs).

Cheers,
    Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • armymankin
    now we are talking. thats what I am expecting.
    yea, thats do-able for me i recon. it looks small on map , how does it ride? as in, sandy tow-path like? or it there some secret single track?
    howabout scadbury park? you been there?
  • Stevo_666
    armymankin wrote:
    now we are talking. thats what I am expecting.
    yea, thats do-able for me i recon. it looks small on map , how does it ride? as in, sandy tow-path like? or it there some secret single track?
    howabout scadbury park? you been there?
    Its a mix of tow-path type stuff (i.e. woodland paths that had some pebble surface put on years ago), gravel/earth type paths, single track through the trees and some wide open park land. It's quite hilly in parts. Oh, and a few nice drops off at the railway bridge and some old BMX tracks 8) Not huge, but fun. Check out this thread here for a bit of feedback after my last top tip :)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12694876

Never heard of Scadbury Park! But will go googling, cheers.