Does any one cycle from Cambourne to Cambridge?

joebatz
joebatz Posts: 32
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I cycle daily to and from work, but i am interested to know if there are plans to add cycle paths along the old A428, or how can i find out if there are any plans?
The route i take is about 50% road and the times im on the road ive had a vew idiot drivers pass me very close and at high speed (mainly boy racer types). I think its a game they play to see how close they can get to cyclists.

Comments

• Hi,

I cycle it a couple of times a week. I think the footpath that runs from Cambourne down to Cambridge is the 'adopted' cyclepath for those who dont want to brave the road. Cant say I've had too much trouble with cars coming by too close, maybe 1 or 2 a year, which I thought was pretty good by most standards.

You can go all the way without touching the road if you want, but I'm not a fan of cyclepaths in cambridgeshire, they tend to be where all the broken glass and small stones get swept into, and I got fed up of constant punctures. I'll take my chances with the cars instead.

I dont think there are any plans to put an official cyclepath in, especially as the council will now be wanting to recoup some of the money they wasted on the guided busway.....

Cheers

Lee
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    bloody hell one heck of a commute that, Cornwall to Cambridgeshire :roll: :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NGale wrote:
    bloody hell one heck of a commute that, Cornwall to Cambridgeshire :roll: :wink:

That's what I was thinking - wouldn't want to do it more than once......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Yeah - used to do it daily. The old Bourne Road is a bit of a pain (but eminently doable) on a road bike until you get to the Caldicote bridge, decent roads then until you get to Hardwick, bit of a rough patch then LOTS of fun coming down Madingley Rise into town :D The only cycle path bit is through Hardwick I think, but TBH I stuck with the road. It was a really good commute - I had it at round about 12 - 15 miles each way, and you can always stick a loop in round Bourne itself if you want to up the mileage.

Unfortunately I've now moved just north of Cambridge which has slashed the commute down to 5 miles :( However it is fun inventing new twisty routes which take me away from my final destination initially in the search for more miles...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

That's what I was thinking - wouldn't want to do it more than once......

Cambourne is a cunning combination of Cam as in the river and bourne as in the airfield the cambourne is next to.
    See also Prambourne.

M'lady used to do the route from the airfield into granchester. I think she used the cycle path/hardwick and I don't remember her having masses of punctures.
  • joebatz
    Thanks for the replys.

Its a great ride in when the sun is out (not often). But the old main road can cause a few problems with cars, because there isnt so much trafic on there now the odd car seems to speed along there but on the whole its not too bad. I play a silly game when coming down Madingley Rise of how fast i can get before i have to break for the Coton turning, not so much fun on the way home though.
  • andyb78
    I know what you mean - loved the commute in, but not much fun getting up to Madingley after 10 hours work...
    Road bike FCN 6

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    andyb78 wrote:
    I know what you mean - loved the commute in, but not much fun getting up to Madingley after 10 hours work...

Cambridgeshire cyclists eh? Soft, that's what they are.
  • andyb78
    True Will... true.... :oops:

I melt at the sheer sight of a gradient...

Alternatively I have a healthy dose of MTFU before I leave the office which makes everything alright :twisted:
    Road bike FCN 6

• joebatz
    Yes us Cambridge cyclist only go down hill :D:D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Haven't done it lately, and not from quite so far out as Cambourne, but I used to go the back way throuugh Toft, Comberton and Barton- bit nicer than the busier roads I thought.
  • leehellcat
    leehellcat Posts: 37
    Yup, quite like the route through barton and toft. If you turn off at comberton toward madingley/hardwick there's a really nice road with hill that goes past the campsite.

I think that the madingley rise is a nice challenge after a day at work. I commute a couple of times a week from Cambourne to Earith, normally going via Cambridge or St Neots to up the miles. The incline from the Coton turn up to Madingley mulch is a nice challenge after 20 or 30 miles.
    For some reason I spin out at 37mph on the way down it in the mornings. Guess I need to pedal faster still !!
  • joebatz
    Yes the route through Comberton-Toft-Bourn is a nice ride.

And WoW 37mph down Madingley Rise thats impressive i get to 31mph when its time to slam on those breaks. 37mph is the time to beat.
  • SuperBOB
    SuperBOB Posts: 33
    Im sure some of you guys must have raced past me this week.

I just moved back to Hardwick after a few years in Cambridge, and my commute went from a 4 mile round trip to 16. Im not exactly the fittest chap in the world and its taken it out of me a little. Still I did it, takes about 25 minutes to get to work, and 40 minutes to get back. (or an hour if I go to the pub first)

Oh - and dont break on that coton turn!! You Hop onto the road as you start descending the hill, so you can maintain the speed into Cambridge!
  • joebatz
    I have to Break for 2 reasons.

1 i have to go through Coton and head towards Barton Rd.
    2 I stick to the cycle path down the hill as the road is suicidal in the mornings.

And yep there are a few good pubs on route ( Friday only though ) :lol: