Folding wire bead tyres for posting

tomdeswrig
tomdeswrig Posts: 15
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Hi All

I was wondering if it OK for a shop to fold a wire bead (non folding tyre) for posting? Basically what I want to know is by doing so does it damages the tyre in any way?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Usually you can twist the tyre into a figure eight then bring the two loops together, making a package half the size, but actually folding the steel bead would cause a problem I think (the bead could bend leaving a permanent deformation).
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Don't fold them normally, that will damage the bead. What you need to do is twist them into an 8 shape then fold this in half. I've received tyres folded like this a few times and they're fine.
  • Thanks
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    anyone know if Wiggle fold these correctly for postage?
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    paggnr wrote:
    anyone know if Wiggle fold these correctly for postage?
    Wiggle tend to send tyres in a full size wheel box, so there's no folding necessary.
  • Wiggle do indeed ship wire bead tyres in full size boxes to avoid them being folded. This is done as many customers are unhappy with their tyres arriving in a 'figure of eight' fashion.

Factually, so long as the tyres are twisted and packaged correctly, this is fine for wire bead tyres so don't be upset if they arrive in that way. But from Wiggle they will arrive in one big box just to keep people happy.
  • tomdeswrig
    tomdeswrig Posts: 15
    I ordered my tyres from chain reaction. Whilst they were not twisted they were put in a box which would probably suit a smaller tyre more and they were slightly deformed. The wire bend had sharpish bend it it. Now fitted to the bike and seem fine.