Mountain bike research - participants required!

SarahH
SarahH Posts: 5
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

I am a MSc student from London Met University. I am curr :idea: ently researching the health benefits of mountain biking, and comparing it to participants of conventional sports.

To do this I have an online survey, which you can access at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GHXXVY5

I need male mountain bikers of all abilities, between the ages of 18-45.

The survey is only 10 minutes long and hopefully will give me some interesting research about how good mountain biking is for health and wellbeing!

If you have any questions contact me on sarahhuntley84@hotmail.com

Get involved!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    More like a psychology questionnaire to me lol.

Seems very repetetive, but I guess that was designed.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Sorry, I'm too old... :(
  • SarahH
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

I am studing Sport Psychology, so yes one of the elements I am looking at is psychological wellbeing and how mountain biking effects this.

As to the repetitiveness, it is the nature of many of the questionnaires - they like to make sure answers are consistent by re-wording the questions and re-using it!

Thanks for participating!

Sarah.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    supersonic wrote:
    Seems very repetetive, but I guess that was designed.
    A correctly written questionnaire is full of repetitive questions, it's just that on this board we rarely ever see one written this well. Kind of regret not signing up to see the results now.

[edit] Yeah, that. What she said.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    done. pretty good survey IMO
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Sorry, I'm too old... :(

Me too :?
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    jay12 wrote:

arn't you under 18???
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Done, and a well constructed questionnaire that follows the basic rules of surveys (unlike most of the ones that get posted here!)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Pics ?
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Done.

I feel enlightened.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    AGEIST !!!!!
    What about us 1/2 way to a 100 Dudes who can kick teenagers butts???

And no, my Zimmer frame is not carbon and titanium....yet...
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I would love to help but i'm a girl.... :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Done :D Results should be interesting
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Done.
    Looking forward to the results. Had a couple of umms and ahhs but decided to go with the flow. yes i am sometimess tired, i work nights and days and have a 5yr old. so I put not tired coz I think it meant in a depressed way. oh well.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    jay12 wrote:

arn't you under 18???
    i didn't read the age thing :lol:
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Too ancient :( . Love to know why age is so important. i joke. Both my "kids" are psychology students so I know how strict parameters have to be.
    ChrisM
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Done !
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SarahH
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for taking part - I was hoping I might be able to find some enthusiastic mountain bikers to participate and I obviously came to the right place!

The age and gender restriction bit is just so the results can be generalised. It's the first study of it's kind (comparing the benefits of mountain biking to conventional sports, in this case gym use) so you have to use quite a narrow selection of participants in order to get some significant results. Following on from this I can then expand the study and see if the findings also apply for other age groups and for women as well.

Exciting stuff - I will email out the 'finished product' in September!

Thanks again, Sarah.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Done

I am guessing it doesnt matter that I am in NZ :D
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Done.
    I now feel invigorated and stress free - until I get to work tomorrow!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I will pop off and do it when i get home tonight.

But i would like to point out the Gym is not a sport. Also in your questionaire the reasong for doign the sport seem to be feel good blah blah, But i do biking as it gives me a rush, scares me a bit and i see fantastic places.
  • SarahH
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I am using a generic motivation questionnaire, so it doesn't include everything I wanted specific for mountain bikers. However, since I am comparing motivation to participate with gym users, I couldn't really include things like doing it for excitement/adrenaline rush etc as it wouldn't apply to both groups. As this is the first study of its kind, it's just the beginning. Hopefully this will lead onto more in-depth analysis of what motivates people to participate in sports, which could include interviews / more detailed responses.

With regards to gym use not being a sport, I realise this and am looking at both activites as leisure activities. I understand mountain biking is commonly classed as a sport, and rightfully so but it can also be participated in non-competitively and informally, much like people who use the gym.

I specifically wanted to compare people who exercise outside (ie. mountain bikers) to a conventional sport, and from previous research figured i'd get the biggest disparity between gym users (as visitng the gym is not normally a very pleasant experience for many) and mountain bikers (who seem passionate about their sport). The aim of the research is to provide support for enhanced well-being for those who exercise outside, which will hopefully show new exercisers there are alternative ways of getting fit and enjoying sport than just paying a subscription to a gym!

Thanks for your feedback, it is gratefully received!
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    It crashed halfway though :(
  • i would've loved a little comments bit at the end, cause would have made my probably anomalous results seem a little more balanced haha
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Done.

Any particular reason why a few of the questions were repeated but just slightly re-worded? ;)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    If your trying to get people out of filthy boring Gyms lass you have my full support!!