Kona Caldera 2009 v 2010

chrism_scotland
chrism_scotland Posts: 221
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ordered my Cyclescheme Voucher and really liked the Kona Caldera 2010 when I had a ride on it after going into the shop at the weekend and its £870.

However I see that Pauls Cycles have the 2009 Caldera for £549, is this a better buy?

How do they stack up component wise?

Regards,

Chris

Comments

• Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Get the 09. There is certainly not £320 difference between the models. 7 inch front rotor on the 10, 6 on the 09. Different rims, chain and crank arms but no massive leaps in terms of quality.

Unless you think the 2010 LOOKS £320 better than the 09?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Get the 09 and spend the money saved on extras you want.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have a Caldera 2009 - its pretty light and cant complain about the spec or the price.
    I wont be changing bike for a while now - very happy with the performance.
    Save the money for other kit you might need / want.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • just a thought but if your using a cycle scheme voucher you may not be able to use it on a 2009 model :cry:
  • Really? How so?
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    Pretty sure pauls cycles dont do bike scheme, might be wrong though :)
  • bdigital wrote:

According to their website Pauls do Cyclescheme now, but on Sale bikes they add an 11% admin fee to the price of the bike so a 2009 Caldera comes in at £610 on a Cyclescheme voucher v £549 if I was to buy it outright.

I know my local bike shop I was in on Saturday said that they couldn't supply Sale bikes on Cyclescheme, although they did have a few 2009 bikes remaining.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    bdigital wrote:

According to their website Pauls do Cyclescheme now, but on Sale bikes they add an 11% admin fee to the price of the bike so a 2009 Caldera comes in at £610 on a Cyclescheme voucher v £549 if I was to buy it outright.
    To be fair to Pauls, they are not profiteering: Cyclescheme charge the shop 10% as their commission and £610 less 10% is £549. Because of all the conditions in cyclescheme though, i'd just buy it outright for £549.
  • Belv wrote:
    bdigital wrote:

To be fair to Pauls, they are not profiteering: Cyclescheme charge the shop 10% as their commission and £610 less 10% is £549. Because of all the conditions in cyclescheme though, i'd just buy it outright for £549.

Oh no I wasn't suggesting that they were they are one of the few places that seem to allow you to buy sale bikes on Cyclescheme anyway.

As I've been looking at the 2010 Caldera which is £870 I've been looking at the Rockhoppers again I guess I'm asking what is the spec like on the Rockhopper SL Expert 2010 & Rockhopper 2010 SL Comp like vs the Caldera?
  • If you live anywhere near, the HUB at Glentress sell off 2010 Kona Caldera's for £400 after only 30 times used. They fully service them and come with a guarantee and barely a scratch. Total bargain I reckon. Don’t worry about them being used either, I am a Glentress regular and I would say the average people you see on them are not regular mountain bikers "hence hiring a bike" and you see them going down the trails at snails pace, so would very much doubt the bikes getting a thrashing like you would a courtesy car.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Hub Caldera's are great.

My dad has one and it was very well looked after. They always service them after EVERY ride and very well. They work on my bike loads and it gets great treatment.

The guys in there are also great to deal with, very freaindly and know everything there is to know about bikes between them.

Oh, and they have one of the best wheel builders in the world there as well. My wheels always go there which is quite often because I am not very kind to them :wink: and they always come back very true and in great condition