Anybody gone to Afan by train?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Nearest train station is 12 miles away and thats port talbut, was thinking of going but has anyone done this before?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I've thought about it but not done it - the road ride up to Afan is pretty uphill and would be a pain in the harris but not undoable - depends a little on your bike and fitness whether it would ruin your day!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    I think Neath is closer. About 5 miles IIRC.
    EDIT, there are easier ways to get to afan than the road way. I think the low level cycleway will get you there
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    try maesteg, my mate lives there and he regulary rides to afan, you can join the top of the penydd trail at the little village of bryn and cut down through :-) i thinks it's only about 3 - 4 miles :D

change at bridgend up to maesteg :D
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    A word or caution if you're thinking of riding from Port Talbot, the A4107 is shut for a section of roadworks, meaning a bit of a detour. Not sure if you can get past on a bike.
  • Mr Rowlie
    Mr Rowlie Posts: 41
    I live 5 mins from the Port Talbot Train station and regulary ride up to the Afan centre, there are cycle tracks that cover most of the way, with just a small amount of road.

The ride up isn't that bad, very slight incline, and you hardly notice the distance.

Easily done, and the ride back takes no effort at all.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Mr Rowlie wrote:
    I live 5 mins from the Port Talbot Train station and regulary ride up to the Afan centre, there are cycle tracks that cover most of the way, with just a small amount of road.

The ride up isn't that bad, very slight incline, and you hardly notice the distance.

Easily done, and the ride back takes no effort at all.

Agreed, I rode to bryn this afternoon on the cycle path, took 20mins and was all gentle uphill, afan isn't much further.

Edit : No way in hell Neath is closer than Port Talbot either :lol:
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    Underdog is right;

By train: the nearest station is Port Talbot Parkway. The route to Afan Argoed is fairly flat and consists of roads and Sustrans paths. Follow the A4107 north and join the cyclepath at Pontrhydyfen.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Dobbs wrote:
    Underdog is right;

By train: the nearest station is Port Talbot Parkway. The route to Afan Argoed is fairly flat and consists of roads and Sustrans paths. Follow the A4107 north and join the cyclepath at Pontrhydyfen.

You can join the cycle path behind tesco garage in Port Talbot town centre, it's all marked out and easy to ride from there.