Rock Lobster with a 120mm fork???

cblair246
cblair246 Posts: 41
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Folks,

Looking at upgrading my Rock Lobster Tig Team SL from the 100mm Rockshox Recon SL fork it comes with to a Fox 32 F120 RL. Has anyone made the move from a 100mm fork to a 120mm fork, if so what sort of changes did you see in the handling etc? Worthwhile or better to stick with the 100mm? Merlin bikes seem to think it shouldn't effect things that much and possibly make it a bit more fun coming down the hill.

Chhers,

Chris.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    The frame id designed around a 100mm fork a shift to 120mm may alter the head angle geometry. Quite supprised the guys at Merlin said it would be ok...check again and look on the Rock Lobser site..if Merlin say its Ok get it in writting as fitting a longer fork than specified may invalidate your frame warranty
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • When the seal went on my Reba, the fork ended up with sitting at the top of it's travel immitating a rigid. I only rode about 5 miles home along hardpack and tarmac but the handling was bloody awful, it felt like the steering was trying to self centre all the time and really all I had lost was the 25mm of sag.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • cblair246
    cblair246 Posts: 41
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I've emailed Rock Lobster themselfes to see what they say about the geomerty change of a 120mm fork.

Anyone else changed from a 100mm fork to a 120mm fork on another hardtail?