What was I worried about.............

trekex977
trekex977 Posts: 95
edited April 2010 in MTB general
A short story.

Had a bit of a crash at Dalby the other week. Bike and me were ok. Well I least I thought the bike was.

It started to develop a really annoying creaking noise...........................this worsened when I went to Sherwood the following week.

Heres me thinking I had overstressed the frame and a crack could be developing. Had had a creaky front pivot on the rocker link before so I took out the shock and greased the bushes etc. Was still getting the damn creaking noise.

Anyhow, as it turns out..........it was just the inner gear cable rubbing on the outer which bends a bit when the sus is active.

What a div.............................albeit a relieved one. ha.

Anyone got any similar stories or am I the only one.

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Cables were making creaking noises? Maybe you just need to lube your cables a bit more often lol.

I've had that one were you hear the hiss of air, but not the sound of sealing, and think "oh crap" then look down and its just a leaf caught in your mech rubbing against your rim or something.

And a few times when I've thought I've seen a crack, and its just a hair.. lol
  • trekex977
    trekex977 Posts: 95
    RealMan wrote:
    Cables were making creaking noises? Maybe you just need to lube your cables a bit more often lol.

Tbh, the cables needed replacing anyway. The clue was having to put electrical tape on the cable ends last ride. They were beginning to look like the edge of a used brillo pad. It was bein arsed to do it when a bit of tape does the job.

There both done now anyway, a half hour, 4 quid job.