Android Device.... Google My Tracks - Sportstracklive

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I've just got the HTC Desire running Android 2.1 to replace a Nokia mobile with sportstracker.

Aside from the fact that it is a stunning mobile device with apps for everything, unlimited internet etc etc it has Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Navigation and Google My Tracks either installed or free from the app store. You can phone people on it as well.....

I've also paid the £5.99 to install the pro version of this www.sportstracklive.com .

I had an hour out this afternoon on an 11 mile training route and Google My Tracks performed flawlessly recording more data than I thought possible then at the end saving the ride to my Gmail account in Google My Maps and Google Documents plus giving the option to export as a GPX or KML file.

This was all while tucked away in a jacket pocket, I shall give sportstracklive a go in the morning on the commute.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    can you import routes and follow them?
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    ive got an HTC hero and found my tracks borked out on me a couple of times when running alongside other apps - for tracking my cycling i now use sportypal which has worked flawlessly (give or take a few issues with GPS altitude tracking but i think thats the phone and not the app) so far

only running android 1.6 admittedly - still waiting for the orange 2.1 update

slainte :) rob
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    amt27 wrote:

That's what I'd like to know as well. Just picked up a HTC Desire.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Also use my tracks, although it flaked on me on a ride round Croxteth Park the other day.

I've not found a way to import routes yet, that would be handy though.

Also planning to play about with OS Map which apparently has a load of open source OS maps on it, could come in handy if it works.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    pHz wrote:
    ive got an HTC hero and found my tracks borked out on me a couple of times when running alongside other apps - for tracking my cycling i now use sportypal which has worked flawlessly (give or take a few issues with GPS altitude tracking but i think thats the phone and not the app) so far

only running android 1.6 admittedly - still waiting for the orange 2.1 update

slainte :) rob

How come your hero is running 1.6? Is it a custom rom or an official one?

EDIT : for what it's worth I am using cardiotrainer on my hero.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    amt27 wrote:

That's my next step to fathom.

I've recorded one MTB route yesterday with My Tracks, my morning commute with sportstrack live and the return journey with My Tracks.

On all three journeys I had music playing (my commute is mainly cycle tracks) using the Desire and it never missed a signal or a position. Both apps even seem to have filled in my position when I travel under a road in a subway of nearly 100m where no signals of any kind can be received.

I shall explore importing routes next but at present don't fancy putting a new and valuable phone on the bars without a rock solid mount and case. I'm sure that there must be a voice guided MTB nav system available somewhere and if not on the app horizon soon.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    underdog wrote:
    eep ! - my bad - its 1.5 - i just managed to confuse myself somehow while digging around for news on the 2.1 update

slainte :oops: rob
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    pHz wrote:
    underdog wrote:
    eep ! - my bad - its 1.5 - i just managed to confuse myself somehow while digging around for news on the 2.1 update

slainte :oops: rob

Delayed 'til June... ARGH
    Mines a T-Mobile Hero too, so I'll have to wait even longer with it randomly locking out on 3G
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • I use CardioTrainer for android. really nice app, and its only flaked out a couple of times.

I downloaded MyTracks but never got round to using it as CardioTrainer worked so well.

I've got a G1 running Android and love it, comes in really handy when I get lost.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    deadsetgav wrote:
    I use CardioTrainer for android. really nice app, and its only flaked out a couple of times.

I downloaded MyTracks but never got round to using it as CardioTrainer worked so well.

I've got a G1 running Android and love it, comes in really handy when I get lost.

Cardio trainer works well for me too, I downloaded mytracks as people seem to swear by it but it just sticks at "waiting for stronger gps signal" while in the same location cardio trainer works no problem.
  • fcumok wrote:
    amt27 wrote:

That's what I'd like to know as well. Just picked up a HTC Desire.

I was wondering the same thing, i wrote to sportypal support, and they told me that, they are working on it, and it will be available very soon, but probably won't be for free.