Is the A21 route into London a good'en for bikes?

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm a bit peeved of with alternative routes (via Sydenham hill into Peckham hurts!).

I've done a bit of the A21 upto Lewisham and it's lovely 'n fast, just never continued it.

From what I can tell the rest looks fairly easy? Thurston -> Brookmill -> Evelyn -> Lower Rd -> Jamaica Rd? Any idea how long it takes to reach London Bridge from Lewisham/Catford at a normalish pace.

I'm hoping to try this route tomorrow morning anyway, so go easy on racing past any new folk you might see :p

Thankya!

Comments

• milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    This is (part of) my daily commute. It's quite flat and uneventful route (save insect swarms on Brookmill Rd section in summertime).

If you want to add a hill to your route, try continuing via A20 to New Cross. It's a nice warm-up climb, but traffic tends to be heavy in the morning.

On route #1 I average 12.6 mph.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    milan_ns wrote:
    This is (part of) my daily commute. It's quite flat and uneventful route (save insect swarms on Brookmill Rd section in summertime).

If you want to add a hill to your route, try continuing via A20 to New Cross. It's a nice warm-up climb, but traffic tends to be heavy in the morning.

On route #1 I average 12.6 mph.

I quite like the bit from deptford bridge to london bridge, that's the only bit that overlaps your commute, i have done 3 and a bit miles before that though, it's where the traffic lights do start to add up though :-(
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    I've never tried it as it is going out of the way for me (too far East - I am headed for the west end). TBH i don't mind them - good training :)

Have you tried going up Forest Hill past the Horniman Museum? The climb isn't quite as bad as Sydenham Hill.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    have done that ride numerous times, takes around 25-30 mins from lewisham to LB at a decent clip. good ride, roads not too busy
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Have you tried going up Forest Hill past the Horniman Museum? The climb isn't quite as bad as Sydenham Hill.
    Now that's a nice patch. Sprint up that hill get your heart pumping.

I often do weekend round trips Hither Green - Kingston that way.

I find the traffic on A205 always busy, almost stationary - so wizzing past slow moving cars is added bonus :)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I often go that route and its fine, apart from Lewisham Roundabout. Takes about 25 mins from Hither Green to LB.

Now the weather is nicer I go up over Blackheath then down through Greenwich Park, its much nicer, then pick up the route above at Evelyn Street.
  • Paul E
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I often go that route and its fine, apart from Lewisham Roundabout. Takes about 25 mins from Hither Green to LB.

Now the weather is nicer I go up over Blackheath then down through Greenwich Park, its much nicer, then pick up the route above at Evelyn Street.

Which way do you go, as when I have been doing test commute runs I have been carrying on over blackheath and down into deptford then right after going under the bridge.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Well I enjoyed that initial route, flat all the way pretty much and 45 mins door to door which is Beckenham to Barbican.

Only problem is that I left too early and didn't see any cyclists, then had to wait for work to open up, pfft : )))
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Paul E wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Which way do you go, as when I have been doing test commute runs I have been carrying on over blackheath and down into deptford then right after going under the bridge.

Into Greenwich Park via the main gate, down the road through the centre including the hill, then out of the gates at the bottom, through Greenwich onto Creek Road.

The last bit is a little busy but I reckon nicer than through Deptford.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... =UTF8&z=15
  • Paul E
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Into Greenwich Park via the main gate, down the road through the centre including the hill, then out of the gates at the bottom, through Greenwich onto Creek Road.

The last bit is a little busy but I reckon nicer than through Deptford.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... =UTF8&z=15

Ahh I see where now, yeah nicer than that junction at deptford bridge, thanks for that tip.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's pretty good, I use it in the mornings from beckenham hill until lewisham where I got through deptford and into tower birdge via Jamaica way

on the way home I ride out all the way through Bromley and up to the jct of A232 just before the hospital

great road all in all, lots of bus lane action and pretty quick.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14