Any good route from Milton Keynes to High Wycombe?

996JAT
996JAT Posts: 94
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys,

My wife is starting her new job in MK tommorow and i have to go with her on en route to work and she will be ok driving back as she says !!

But i gotta get back from their everyday this week and was thinking if anyone knows a safe route. Was thinking from MK to alyesbury and the A40010 from Ayslebury to High Wycombe but can see bits with national speed limits and heavy trraffic..

Any ideas with minimal traffic would be great.

Thanks
Jat

Comments

• laughingboy
    laughingboy Posts: 248
    I live in Princes Risborough. I'd avoid the A4010 from Risbrough to Wycombe. It's really the busiest road for miles. If you don't mind climbing a hill, you can leave the A4010 just after Risborough & go along the ridge from Lacey Green to Naphill and then down into the Hughenden Valley to Wycombe.

Better still, you can avoid the main roads pretty much from the edge of Aylesbury. At the mini roundabout near Terrick/Stoke Mandeville (the one with the Corner Garage) head left then sharp right for Butler's Cross, then towards Great Missenden, past Chequers. Once you pass Chequers, take the second right up the side of the valley, or you will end up in Gt Missenden. If you take a map, this route (warning: contains hills) will take you between Prestwood and Speen on the back roads through the countryside to the Hughenden Valley. Lovely.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    That is a good route laughingboy. Brother-in-law lives just outside Thame so we've been on plenty of the lanes round your way. Nice enough ride between there and Richmond, until you reach Uxbridge that is. I am envious of where you live....
  • laughingboy
    I love the cycling around here. I've lived here for eleven years, and I keep discovering lovely routes - single track lanes, green woodpeckers, red kites. The Chilterns are great.

The Chiltern Railways train to and from London Marylebone is very cycle friendly too.
  • laughingboy - that's an excellent route that I remember well from my time cycling around Wycombe. Generally, there's plenty of fine cycling to be had to the west of Wycombe, which I occasionally enjoy when visiting family and mates.

Definitely recommend avoiding the A4010 - that's a miserable cycle, although if you get fed up there are plenty of train stations.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The Chiltern Railways train to and from London Marylebone is very cycle friendly too.

If they are cycle friendly, WTF are other companies like? Chiltern are OK, the parking at Marylebone is good but they don't let bikes on peak time trains :evil: apart from nasty foldies :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • laughingboy
    SecretSam wrote:

If they are cycle friendly, WTF are other companies like? Chiltern are OK, the parking at Marylebone is good but they don't let bikes on peak time trains :evil: apart from nasty foldies :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fair point. But, considering that trains and bikes make a natural match, most train companies in the UK seem to be anti-bike.

What is it with these companies? Some have a maximum number of cycles allowed, and some require you to book in advance (I mean, really!). So, I think that credit is due to Chiltern for allowing trains on all trains at the weekend, and denying bike access only to 'peak period' commuter trains. As you hint, you can always have a bike at each end, if you commute, after all (which saved my cycling life when I commuted to London).

Given that the peak period trains get crowded, you can see that their policy is rooted in common sense rather than dogma. In practice, they are pretty forgiving about taking a bike on even 'peak period' trains, as long as it is not for the crowded part of the route. So, Princes Risborough to adjacent stations seem to be fair game (crosses fingers). :D