whats the definition of an old school bike.

R.lepecha
R.lepecha Posts: 67
edited May 2010 in MTB general
im just wondering, what sort of bike is "old school"? as i was thinking my bike might now be old school with a steel xc frame..

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    3 inch forks or less, cantis, and anodized purple :wink:
  • R.lepecha
    R.lepecha Posts: 67
    fair enough, i don't quite fit in that category then :)
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Got to be steel.

Can't decide which I like better.

stumpy_131_527.jpg

stumpy1.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pre 1990 MTB in my eyes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yeah, old road bikes are more vintage, then old school I think.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    supersonic wrote:
    3 inch forks or less, cantis, and anodized purple :wink:

I see a guy commuting on the way to work with a bright orange framed Klein with anodized purple EVERYTHING. Makes me jealous every time.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Should ideally have a Flexstem and be shod in a pair of white Onza Porcupines...
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Should ideally have a Flexstem

*Shudders*

Those things were awful. I soo wanted one on my Peugeot Raider, but was glad I tried one out on a mates bike before purchasing one. I went for a Purple Uno stem instead (which I do believe is in the shed somewhere). :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pre 1990 Steel frame, Canti brakes, thumb shifter 6 speed gears, bars no more than 22 inches wide and a stem about 6 inches long
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    U brake on the back

Or brake braces.

I wouldn't mind something 'dream bike' from the mid 90s... All this new stuff confuses me. Though I have only been riding again for about 6 weeks now. I remember 2 inches of travel being a luxury, dagnabbit.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Does have to have its original kit? I had and old GT prior to my cube that I modernised

25478_1351022530381_1075906281_3102.jpg
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    dan shard wrote:
    Does have to have its original kit? I had and old GT prior to my cube that I modernised

What year is that? My only bike is a 2004 GT Avalanche that looks very similar in graphics style.
    Because I bought it but then didn't use it for 6 years, it's all original. Looks brand new. I didn't even buy the disc version for some reason.

Well it looks covered in dust now because it's seeing some action finally.

I should have waited 4 years and posted it on Retro Bike.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Something like this - 4510877041_08346deb62_b.jpg
    but with more anodized bits and period correct parts, not a 2009 X.7 shifter :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i use to see a guy every morning riding a K2 carbon, dribble dribble :P
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    kaytronika wrote:
    dan shard wrote:

What year is that? My only bike is a 2004 GT Avalanche that looks very similar in graphics style.
    Because I bought it but then didn't use it for 6 years, it's all original. Looks brand new. I didn't even buy the disc version for some reason.

Well it looks covered in dust now because it's seeing some action finally.

I should have waited 4 years and posted it on Retro Bike.

Absolutely no idea, I searched google images and the closest I could come to something with a similar paint job was 2000 - 2001 ish. Mine didnt have any disk adapters on it to start with, had to use an A2Z type at the back, and buy new forks...for which I had to replace the headset from quill to Aheadset, new stem, new gear levers (they were the combined type) new wheels..the list went on and on...then I got bored, gave it to my wife and bought the cube
  • This is the same as my 2001 Trek 6500 - not sure if it counts as being "old school" or not, but it's still fairly standard as it's been sat in the garage for most of the last 9 years...

1798b29afef7cf31785fbded399102e5_big.jpg

According to the spec, the front forks have a whole 3" of travel...
    GT I-Drive 5 XCR '09
    Trek 6500 '01
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    I think a bike that is 18 years old counts as an old school bike. Currently fixing one of those up for my brother to us as a commuter.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    late 80's early 90's for me,
    my step pops had a raleigh mustang in pinky purple, was such an ace bike! we even had one of the milometers that bolted on the wheel axle and had a little wheel that tunred when the spoke bolty thing connected with it! i used to sit around the back and flick the wheel around and pretend like i'd done 12 miles etc"!!!

my lbs has some Real old school bikes, one on display is an old community midwife's from a local town, has the battery charger bit that works of the dyno, old woods valves etc, Such a cool bike! they'ver got a few Really old ones like it in the shed! will try and snap a picture or two next time i'm down! - would prolly make most the bikes on retrobikes look new lol!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    My bike is very old... :oops: But definitely not a classic.

GT Backwoods frame (c. 1992), Spin front wheel, Middleburn cranks, Ringle bottle cage, Bomber Z2 Light forks (badly in need of servicing but quoted more than they are worth), I even opted for not having disc mounts as I didn't think they'd catch on :lol: .

I upgraded to 27 speed from 21, XTR Rear and XT Front mech's XT V-Brakes were also an upgrade from canti's.

I'm currently looking for a full sus XC bike, but definitely won't be getting rid of my trusty hardtail.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets