SLX or Raceface Evole Chainsets

wsty65
wsty65 Posts: 19
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Simple really got £100 for chainset which is better??

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    IMO the Evolve cranks are better but the SLX BB is better so I would say, Evolve cranks with new BB unless they are 2010 in which case, RF BB are meant to be much much better
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    peter413 wrote:
    IMO the Evolve cranks are better but the SLX BB is better so I would say, Evolve cranks with new BB unless they are 2010 in which case, RF BB are meant to be much much better
    actually shimano bbs are supposed to be better
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SLX is lighter, stiffer and has a better BB - is a no brainer.
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    SLX every time

shimano cranks are stronger, stiffer, lighter and MUCH easier to install than Race Face's equivalent models, are better value, have a more durable bottom bracket, and do not work loose...

one of my most common workshop jobs is replacing toasted Race Face Evolve and Truvativ Howizter cranksets with shimano SLX
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • wsty65
    cheers guys, that what i thought but wanted to make sure as lots of bikes spec the evolve
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SLX. Though TBH there's no lack of strength or stiffness in the Raceface ones, I wouldn't mind either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    SLX,
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    SLX, big fan of Shimano cranks. Bought some ISIS evolve DH cranks a few years ago after always wanting some RF cranks, never been so dissapointed. Stiff until the crank arm fell off (alot)
  • supersonic wrote:
    SLX is lighter, stiffer and has a better BB - is a no brainer.

TBH... Shimano win hands down with cranksets.

From the deore up, they're incredibly hard to beat for VFM and performance.
  • wsty65
    So next bit, double and bash or triple. Will be fitted to an ST4
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Had the same dilemma recently and tonight purchased the SLX.

Outstanding kit for an awesome price... again... a no-brainer!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    wsty65 wrote:
    what type of riding?
  • Northwind
    wsty65 wrote:

I'd go double and bash, as far as I'm concerned it's the more logical choice for most off road riding, the tradeoff is tiny. Though I'd probably not use the hefty shimano bash, but it's still worth it to get the 36T ring without spending more.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    wsty65 wrote:

I'd go double and bash, as far as I'm concerned it's the more logical choice for most off road riding, the tradeoff is tiny. Though I'd probably not use the hefty shimano bash, but it's still worth it to get the 36T ring without spending more.

+1

Save up a bit of extra money and get a much better bash like a Race Face one or E.Thirteen
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    'Much' better?

Well looks much better anyway :lol:

They are better though, lighter and stronger (the Race Face one definatly is)

Don't know why people make polycarbonate, plasticy piles of trash (including the e.thirteen) when an alloy bash gaurd is stronger, thinner and isn't as succeptible to damage by cold weather
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have both SLX and evolve DH cranksets on my bikes, both are good and do their job, though for the money, the SLX is better, and easier to install. Nothing wrong with the evolve though, i only paid £60 for it used but good cond.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    Don't know why people make polycarbonate, plasticy piles of trash (including the e.thirteen) when an alloy bash gaurd is stronger, thinner and isn't as succeptible to damage by cold weather

because polycarbonate (Lexan - also used for bullet proof window manufacturing) does not become deformed when you run into a large rock or fallen tree on the trail, like an aluminium alloy bashguard does

being an elastic material, the Lexan bashguard will absorb the impact without being permanantly distorted, without jamming your cranks, and allows you to continue riding down the trail....most of the time you won't even notice

if you've even bent an aluminium alloy bashguard, you'll know what I am talking about - this is why companies shifted away from aluminium alloy bashguards to Lexan

btw, I have ridden my E13 and Gamut Lexan bashguards many times in the snow, and had no problems with "cold weather damage"
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

It follows that the heavier thicker alu one is stronger.
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:

It follows that the heavier thicker alu one is stronger.

Is the Shimano one not plastic
  • Northwind
    TBH there'd be a lot to say for just taking off the bash entirely and going without, not for everyone of course but I've got on fine without a bash on the Soul (it has a sort of joke bashring on now that's really just a flimsy chainguard). Most riders won't actually bash their bashrings very often after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    TBH there'd be a lot to say for just taking off the bash entirely and going without, not for everyone of course but I've got on fine without a bash on the Soul (it has a sort of joke bashring on now that's really just a flimsy chainguard). Most riders won't actually bash their bashrings very often after all.

I have considered this but considering the bash was spotless a year ago...
  • Noob question - is a normal 3 speed shifter suitable for a double chainset like the SLX?