Twits who run in cycle lanes

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So, I head out at lunchtime today for a short run (in Swindon). I decide to do a slightly different route, instead of going through the park I head out through the suburbs towards town, then back along the path that runs alongside the A-road.

So, I'd been happily (if painfully) been making my way along when it suddenly dawned on me that the path I was running on was marked as a cycle lane. Except that there wasn't actually any peds section - the path simply had a line down the middle and a bike symbol on either side indicating north and southbound lanes.

So, in a case like this, where should I (the ped) be running? On the right hand side (facing the oncoming bike traffic) or on the left? Who really has right of way (my guess would be no-one)?

Anyways, no harm was done as I passed the only cyclist I came across. :twisted: Ok, an old man who could have been my Great Grandfather.
I do hate shared facilities.

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    More importantly - pavement tax? Insurance? Hooligan.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    you shouldn't be running anyway, it sucks big time compared to cycling :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Roastie
    :) - Yeah, but it is great cardio on a very limited time budget!

...but I woul much rather be riding my bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh the shame and you used to be cool :-(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Had a pair of joggers jogging side by side with their iPods in both ears in front of me, blocking the whole path. I was only able to get their attention by sticking my front wheel in between them.

I now hate joggers when I am driving, walking my dog and riding my bike. Is there a club I can join?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Roastie
    :oops:
  • Roastie wrote:
    :oops:

:lol:

Ignore me, I'm ranting.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • There used to be one on Cable Street cycle lane a while ago. Wide EMPTY pavement to run, but he chose the narrow cycle lane to do so. Plugged to his iPod, ignored everybody. Felt like punching the tw@t!!! :x

Disclaimer (in case somebody did hurt him as I haven't seen him in a year or so): I never punched him.