Tyre life

Riatsala
Riatsala Posts: 44
edited April 2010 in The workshop
I have Bontrager Race Lite tyres on my daily bike. I was wondering at what sort of mileage I should replace them - at about 3000 miles I have recently had two punctures. Any thoughts?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's less the mileage done and more the state of the tyre. If it's badly cut up, if you can see the weave under the rubber (which is what consigned my race lites, which had done a lot less than 3000 miles, to the rubbish - holes formed around cuts that revealed a substantial amount of under-rubber layer), if the rubber is perishing (esp the sidewalls), or if there are obvious thin or flat sections of rubber, then it's probably time to replace.

Tyres are handy in that they're a cheap and straightforward thing to change - at the top end you'd struggle to spend more than £35 on a tyre and there's no tech know-how or tools needed.
  • Riatsala
    Here in lies the problem; there are no obvious sign that they might be on their way; apart from these punctures which of course could just be bad luck
  • Riatsala
    delete all above comments ! I noticed this evening that my rear tyre is now showing the inner lining
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Front tyre might still have life in it, which cuts down on the need to shell out too much cash in one go.