Panier or oversized saddle bag?

cmm303
cmm303 Posts: 59
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I commute (sometimes) 10 miles each way on my mountain bike using a 25l rucksack for my clobber.

My back is agony, and very sweaty, after about 8 uphill miles so I want to shift that load to the bike. However I am reluctant to fit a carrier as I also use this bike for recreational off road biking. I already have to change over the tyres and want to keep further changes to a minimum.

My clobber probably fits into 15l (trousers, shirt, towel, sandwiches, phone, cycle repair kit, lunch, paclite waterproof ... and shoes if am not organised).

I have spent hours searching but with little success so can anybody recommend a solution?
ChrisM

Comments

• wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    top peak to a trunk bag with 'panniers ' that fold down each side. I have one. I wish i had paid a fiver extra for the waterproof version. Topeak also sell a rack that hooks onto yor seat post witha quick release clamp. The 'system' has a cool slide on fixing so you can take the bag off really quck on arrival. I like it . Mountings for lights on the back of it too. Rack acts as a mud guard!
  • wyadvd
    stick 'topeak mtx' into google shopping.
  • wyadvd
    its the mtx beam rack e type you need. I have a fully mounted topeak tourer pannier rak, but that woud fit your bill imo
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I use a carrdice cadet saddle bag. Looks like the next size up would suit you:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... gory_id=24

If you don't have a saddle with saddle bag loops (brooks) then there are a coupe of different attachments that carradice make that let you mount it to a normal saddle or seatpost.

Unless you buy a quick release bracket it can be a faff to take on and off the bike, but what i do is just have a stuff bag inside which I take out leaving the carradice on the bike. Works for me, no bad back and no need to mount a rack.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • cmm303
    Thank you for the couple of pointers. I saw the Topeak mtx rack in Halfords and was dismayed at the combined cost of bag and rack. Nevertheless it did look like a viable solution.
    Now I have the Carradice to compare it with so am very grateful, thank you.
    ChrisM
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Rear rack and panniers ..... I've tried all of the above solutions and 'real' panniers come out tops for me, easily.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • For days when you can travel light I recommend a handlebar bag, like the 10ltr Halfords one. It has a handle and a quick release. I carry a small socket set and other essential tools in the front pocket and can get lunch in the main compartment and I keep a change of clothes at work.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • cmm303
    AndyManc wrote:
    Rear rack and panniers ..... I've tried all of the above solutions and 'real' panniers come out tops for me, easily..
    I have no doubt that you are right but I need to be able to switch my bike easily between off-road fun machine and commuter. Can you suggest rear racks that are quick and easy to take off/on?

Awkward, aren't I?
    ChrisM
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    cmm303 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    Rear rack and panniers ..... I've tried all of the above solutions and 'real' panniers come out tops for me, easily..
    I have no doubt that you are right but I need to be able to switch my bike easily between off-road fun machine and commuter. Can you suggest rear racks that are quick and easy to take off/on?

Awkward, aren't I?

Is it necessary to remove a rear rack when going off road ?

Many racks are lightweight so that won't be a problem, if you are just doing off road for fun and not competition I would leave it on, I occasionally take my hard-tail off road, it has a rear carrier and I don't have any issues with it.

If it really is necessary to remove it then go for the Topeak option, I think I have the MTX version for my hardtail (before I fitted a full rear rack), they do a decent job and can carry the essentials.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cmm303
    AndyManc wrote:
    Is it necessary to remove a rear rack when going off road ?.

Your question challenges an assumption I was making. :idea:

I work on the basis, the less I have on the bike, the less there is to bend. I don't have a wonderful record when the going gets rough! I would also be worried about it getting in the way when moving over the back of the saddle on steep descents/drops.
    ChrisM
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Don't know what your definition of easy to remove is but my rack is held by 4 allen key bolts. I would have thought that I could remove it in about 60-90 seconds.

I have a waist pack which is about 10 - 15L. Fits tin of soup, shirt, trousers and underwear comfortably but wouldn't also hold shoes (I leave a pair in the office all the time so I don't have that problem). Its not waterproof but only cost me £15. Might be worth considering?

Incidently I don't use my rack anymore because it makes the bike feel a bit slow. YMMV.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Minimize the stuff you take to work. I don't know the standards of sartorial elegance required at your place, but why not get a cheap (~10 quid) pair of shoes which you can leave at work. I've also got a travel towel which packs down smaller than a deck of cards and does (just about) do the job; it starts to smell quite quickly though.

Trousers and shirts are a little more tricky....
    Ultimately, this is looking like you absolutely need another bike. I can't see another way round it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cmm303
    LOL. Lots of ideas, thank you everyone.
    I have nearly trained myself with the shoe thing. Clobber I have minimised, even as far as having a 2nd phone charger at work. Stopped karting my laptop etc. around! Greedy pig, so breakfast, lunch and fruit take up space - and work out in the sticks miles from any stores. Another bike ... seriously wondered :) , employer refuses to participate in the cycle to work scheme so always on the look out for a used deal.
    ChrisM
  • cmm303
    In case a report on the final outcome is useful.... I found a reasonably priced aluminium disc-compatible carrier cheaper than Top Peak and to which I mount an Altura waterproof side panier.

I am so much more comfortable cycling, no excruciating back pain after 8 miles and no sweaty back and rucsack. I am also free from worries about rain wrecking my worldly goods.

Once I have mounted the reflector and light bracket on the carrier, as a contributor pointed out, I am just 4 easy bolts away from removing all road clobber (except tyres!). Very nearly as easy as removing the mud guard that I previously used.

A happy outcome. Thanks everyone.
    ChrisM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are any number of seatpost mounted racks if you aren't going to heavy, one/2 bolts and its off, easy to aline, no fiddling, go on the bay and get some cheap panniers as well and you're sorted!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    The Carradice SQR range is another option. I have used an SQR Slim on my commuter for a couple of years and it has been fine. It attaches via a block mounted on your seatpost.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour