Move to full sus?

2»

Comments

• dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Swings and roundabouts really.

I'm normally a hardtail rider, but have owned a full suss in the past. On the one hand, full sussers do let you go faster on the way down immediately, and it is still fun. It's also great if you're just out to relax for a few hours- it means you don't have to worry so much about lines, and can relax more.
    On the other hand I like feeling like I'm 'on the edge' as it were (well, in my mind at least). Could never get there on the full susser- I ran out of balls far before I got there, whilst I can get the hardtail close. Which, for me, means the hardtail is ultimately more fun. Oh, and you can keep up with full sussers on a hardtail- you just have to pedal until you go fast enough to smooth the bumps out, and pray it sticks the corners.

Ergo- full sussers- faster, still fun, can relax more on.
    Hartails- just more fun, still fast.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like riding both, i much prefer fs though, for me it is more fun. so for that reason, i only ride fs bikes.

the smart moves would be to try a fs on your normal route and see if you like it as much, you might not! load of folk much much prefer their ht bikes.

it is impossible to have a valid opinion on the merits of fs vs ht without having tried both properly. see if your pals will let you borrow their bikes and set it up correctly for yourself then take it for a good solid ride.
    id certainly give fs a try before spending money on upgrades of your ht just incase the money is better spent on a different bike.
  • Cheers chaps.

I hear you, dunnnooo... i enjoy riding HT for the same reasons you talk about.

sheepsteeth - you are absolutely right, I can't make any decision without the right information. My mates full sussers are not quite what I am after... might check a demo day but I hate to think I am waste people's time. I'd need to be ready to buy to enjoy it!

I reckon i should look at cost effetively upgrading some key bits and get some coaching to maximise my current ride. Anytime I need inspiration, I will watch this...

http://vimeo.com/2242543

... and think about flow and technique rather than shock actuation ratios and all that!

Hey, Supersonic... I've seen you give props to the F4Z frame on the forum ("What HT 2009"). That's cool... but do you reckon it'd take a well sagged 120mm fork? That would raise the low BB height a bit and give a longer wheelbase for more stability too, eh?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Some good advice here, don't just get caught up in some kind of bike envy because your mates have big full sus rigs. Personally I'd always take my Anthem to Afan ahead of my Cube, because I like that it cuts out the worst of the buzz from the rockier descents, but at 100mm it doesn't feel like I'm too cushioned from the trail underneath me. But I'm an XCer at heart, I love quick, sweepy singletrack and do the occassional race, so I have no need for a burly long travel FS that I could fire off jumps and drops. Think about what riding you do and want to do in the future then get as many demos as possible.

Hardtails can be bloody quick if you know how to ride them - I chased a group of 3 guys down the Energy trail last summer and kept on the wheels of the 2 on 5" trail full sussers, but their lycra clad mate on a race specced Whyte 19 left us for dead.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As llamafarmer says, go to a demo day if you can. I had no intention of buying, but tried out 4 bikes at the Cannock Chase one. And it was well worth it, I now have more of an idea what kind of full sus bike I'd like if I were to buy one in the future, which I probably will.

I think that being a HT rider now might be what made me like the Spark I tried so much. Whereas the other, longer travel bikes felt a bit like wallowy barges that isolated me from the trail. I like a bike that gives plenty of 'feedback' from the trail whilst still giving the extra traction on technical climbs and a bit more control on the fast downhills. the Spark did that really well, so I know to stick to shorter travel bikes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Don't get me wrong llamafarmer, i love my bike!

I am not envious of the big full suspension rigs - I'd rather be underbiked, work harder AND keep up. My mate had upgraded the fork on his bike this weekend... to a Lyrik that cost about the same as my whole bike. Has the world gone mad?!

Anyone got any comments on sticking a 120mm fork on an F4Z?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc