How is this for a Commute home?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Would not like trying it the other way.

http://www.vimeo.com/11225985
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    No traffic lights I see :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Never mind up, I wouldn't like to try it downhill! I reckon it'd scare me witless! :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I'd be £20 a day on brake pads!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I want to live there :cry:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hell, I don't like descending at speed on a road, let alone there. That does not look fun at all.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    And I feel happy if I hit some stairs and manage a few jumps on the way home.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I wanted to get a MTB before I saw that video :shock:

(where is it?)
  • nicklouse
    biondino
    Switzerland I believe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    Wouldn't fancy doing that in the dark..!

If it's in Switerland, I wonder if he gets a chair lift in the morning?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Switerland hmm..can you imagine the really cool road climb/decent he's missing out on by taking this route. Poor guy, I almost feel sorry for him.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Epic, then again I got into road riding through MTB. :twisted:
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Agent57 wrote:
    Never mind up, I wouldn't like to try it downhill! I reckon it'd scare me witless! :D

It would be an adrenaline rush in places but that's a stunning MTB descent to ride. I think I might find a few bits quite challenging but I think I could cope with most of it although probably a bit slower than the guy in the video :) . Now you know why MTB riders don't fear road downhills. Road descents are a lot less complicated. ;)

Mike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,196
    That bloke has quite a bit of skill and big cojones 8) Let's hope he doesn't have an 'off' day :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Blimey :shock:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    biondino
    Switzerland I believe.

Verbier to be a bit accurate.
  • bikey2009
    bikey2009 Posts: 121
    Awsome. Fantastic riding.

I'd love to work at his shop, and have to do the occasional trip to pick up the mail :D

But only as long as the chair lift was working :lol:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    lovely roll down, lovely views a few bits and bobs to keep you on your toes but no real gotchas.
  • roger_merriman
    biondino wrote:
    I wanted to get a MTB before I saw that video :shock:

(where is it?)

why don't you hire one at the lookout/swinley forrest? it's got some nice bits and bobs nothing terribly hard. and handy cafe on site.
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    Pahh, what a lightweight...he put his foot down at the end.

I wanted to see him fishing ing in pockets for he key, opening the door, cycling to the ktichen track stnding whist fixing himself a pot noodle and cup of tea, before a quick chnage then off to the pub to meet his mates, all without puttting a foot down.

That would be hardcore..!
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Looks absolutely terrifying!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    Switerland hmm..can you imagine the really cool road climb/decent he's missing out on by taking this route. Poor guy, I almost feel sorry for him.

+1

All I could think watching that is there must be a lovely road decent that he is missing out on :roll:
  • roger_merriman
    Eau Rouge wrote:

+1

All I could think watching that is there must be a lovely road decent that he is missing out on :roll:

indeed and he'll have proper brakes as well on that bike! ;-)
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Awesome vid. Descent all looks doable, though I would be a fair bit slower than him (and would have to stop to let the arm pump subside more than once...). Of course things always look flatter on video... The guy doing it is a forum member over on singletrackworld.com i think.
    I'm impressed with the camera, apparently it is a Gopro Hero HD with a chest mount strap. Might have to get me one of those.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I bet he hasn't got shaved legs or anything. its easy poodling downhill, get a video going up matey, then I may be impressed. :wink: