Barking at dogs

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Yo!

I live in a semi-rural area of Hong Kong and sometimes have problems with dogs running out into the road, barking and chasing the back wheel (for some reason).

I've tried various methods of putting them off but have found that as they approach, bellowing at the top of my lungs seems to work quite well. It usually comes out as a mixture of a scream, a bark and a growl, at high volume. I generally yell something like, "Getoutofityoufuckingbastarddog" and so far it's made several stop and think twice for long enough for me to put some distance between me and them.

I'd be interested to know if it works for you..
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Yes, I bark back at them too but then again I make moo cow noises at cows and baa at sheep. I also salute magpies because I think they look great. If Rapha designed birds they'd do magpies.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I USED to carry a starter pistol with me on routes where I had previously encountered dogs. Only took once or twice to convince them not to bother me. However in this day and age carrying one of these might be frowned upon.
  • ynyswen24
    What about converting the top tube of your bike to an air cannon that you keep pumped up to pressure while pedalling and then fire by using, maybe, a cross top lever as a trigger?

Obviously this will not work with compact frames as the angle of the top tube would result in the projectile being fired up into the sky rendering you both foolish and bitten.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    dennisn wrote:
    I USED to carry a starter pistol with me on routes where I had previously encountered dogs. Only took once or twice to convince them not to bother me. However in this day and age carrying one of these might be frowned upon.

I think you may be correct :roll:
  • ynyswen24
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, but Dennis does live in Ohio, perhaps he would be okay with a semi automatic assault rifle.
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    I find a well aimed squirt of good 'ol H2O does the trick
    Finished
  • dennisn
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, but Dennis does live in Ohio, perhaps he would be okay with a semi automatic assault rifle.

Good idea, except I'm having trouble finding suitable carbon fiber bling parts for my AK-47. It's got to match the bike and be lightweight. OCP you know.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I just ignore dogs now cos all they do is run alongside the bike with a stupid expression on their face, i`m like "well small things amuse small minds, if you`ve got nothing better to do".
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    You can buy a little can of stuff called "bite back" which is like a pepper spray for dogs.
    On the road bike I used to spray them with water which pi$$ed them off no end.
    Now on the MTB I just get off and stare them down.
    Anyone been chased by a cow or a bull? Now THATS scary!! :shock:
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Nax-ian wrote:
    I find a well aimed squirt of good 'ol H2O does the trick
    I tried this while I was on the turbo the other day. It didn't work. And it wasn't a dog either - it was a big black spider running across my dining room floor. :D (Tried and missed about 4 times!)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    antfly wrote:
    I just ignore dogs now cos all they do is run alongside the bike with a stupid expression on their face, i`m like "well small things amuse small minds, if you`ve got nothing better to do".

Or if it's a pack of small Jack Russells they run alongside jumping up and biting your legs at the same time. This has happened to me.
    al2098 wrote:
    Anyone been chased by a cow or a bull? Now THATS scary!!

Yes, I managed to sprint and jump over a barbed wire fence, it all happened that fast that I'm not sure whether I used the fence to climb on or whether adrenaline helped me to hurdle it!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    We got 3 dogs from a rescue centre, 2 pups and a collie cross.
    A few days later the Mrs was working nights, so I did a cheeky turbo whilst the dogs slept.

Pedalling away, I didn't notice the collie wanted some attention and moving close to the bike.

Then pedalling got harder, and a huge scream filled the room.
    The dogs tail had got caught in the chain/casssette !

Took about 2 mins to clear, with dog hair/oil everywhere.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    dennisn wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Good idea, except I'm having trouble finding suitable carbon fiber bling parts for my AK-47. It's got to match the bike and be lightweight. OCP you know.

If you carried an AK-47 they'd probably think you were a terrorist anyway.

An AR-15 would be more appropriately patriotic, no?
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, you're absolutely right. But I'm reminded of a movie line that went something like..."AK47, when you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother f*cker in the room...".
    Title eludes me at the moment. Samuel Jackson said it(of course).
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Just bark back at them like Karen from Shameless.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    al2098 talks about being chased by cows, but yesterday I was coming up by a farm lane when six of the buggers ran out in front of me. Couple of seconds later and I would have been history - they are half a tonne you know.

Brakes worked - good emergency stop, but the smell from the rear put the cows to shame and it was a long way home :oops: :oops: :oops: .
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    There was an article on this in the sunday times not long ago. the best thing to do, bizarrely, is to get off the bike and stand still. The dog only chases you because its visual cortex is being stimulated by your rapid motion. When you stop, it does too. Sounds good as a theory...but...
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    +1 buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    al2098 wrote:
    Anyone been chased by a cow or a bull? Now THATS scary!! :shock:

Yes. And the cows which were sharing his field. I had been fishing so was running away at full pelt with fishing rod and backpack (luckily not my box) and noticed I was quickly approaching an electric fence.

Ever jumped through the top and middle wires of an electric fence with a fishing rod in one hand and backpack full of brown trout on your back? I have.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, you're absolutely right. But I'm reminded of a movie line that went something like..."AK47, when you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother f*cker in the room...".

'....Accept no substitutes' - Jackie Brown, class film that :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jrduquemin wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

'....Accept no substitutes' - Jackie Brown, class film that :-D

Couldn't you just stare the dog down like Riggs did in lethal weapon and make friends with the dog ?
    There is too much animosity in the world right now, lets just try to change it a little bit at a time ? Huh?

Yeah, right. Go back in the car later and feed it a steak full of rat poison, mangy bloody dogs, I hate them. :twisted:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    There was an article on this in the sunday times not long ago. the best thing to do, bizarrely, is to get off the bike and stand still. The dog only chases you because its visual cortex is being stimulated by your rapid motion. When you stop, it does too. Sounds good as a theory...but...

That's explained why I no longer get chased by dogs - problem solved, get fat and slow and they leave you alone :lol: