Bikes for women…What’s the difference?

2»

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    So, what did you go for?

My gf has a Specialized Myka. It is a nice little bike, but is covered in butterflies so that may, or may not, put her off.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I always thought the low top tube on a lady's bike was so that you could wear a skirt and remain modest while riding.
    But then I''ve believed this since I was small, so it's probably wrong!
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I am also part of the long legged short torsoed female brigade. i'm 5''4ish and have a 17 inch tank race elite hardtail mostly cuz my ex used to sell them so i was able to get it for £500 instead of 1k. I have always ridden mens bikes and although a wsd bike may fit me better I hate them as to me they feel too cramped though i think this is becuase I am used to riding mens bikes that are a bit too big for me. They also have crap graphics and colours, often cost more for a worse spec compared to the equivalent mens bike and have ridiculous saddles. I think a small mens bike with a performance womens saddle is the best way forward. For me bike weight is an issue as I only weigh 48kg and don't like hauling a bike weighing a significant portion of me uphill. Next upgrade for the mtb is likely going to be a Ti frame :-)
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • iPad
    iPad Posts: 112
    Stuey01 wrote:
    So, what did you go for?

My gf has a Specialized Myka. It is a nice little bike, but is covered in butterflies so that may, or may not, put her off.

We went to the LBS last night and went for the Trek Skye SL Disc

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-skye-sl-disc-womans-mountain-bike-id53657.html

With an upgraded women's sadle and bar ends.

Black and turquoise with no flowers, butterfies, rabbits or other girlie crap, so quite butch for a girls bike.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas