Floppy Aksiums - is this normal?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited May 2010 in The workshop
So I've had a pair of Aksiums since the beginning of the year; during this time, I've done ~2000 miles, mostly with a lightly-loaded pannier.

I've heard one or two rubbing sounds whilst out of the saddle, and had put that down to tight mudguard clearances. However, during yesterday's sportive (without mudguards) I could hear the same thing going up hills, to the point where I could actually feel the extra drag when out of the saddle. I'm still not sure exactly where it's rubbing; ended up riding round with the back brakes backed right off, which reduced the problem slightly but didn't eliminate it) but there's also paint rubbed off the chainstays (though Im not sure how recently).

I can squeeze the 23c tyre hard against the chainstay with one hand, which doesn't seem right (but I have nothing to compare it with). The bearings are fine, this is flex in the wheel itself. It's also developed a 2-3mm wobble.

I don't think this is pothole-related because the rim looks fine, and I'd expect pothole damage to affect the front wheel first (which is fine).

Can anyone tell me:
1. Whether I can fix this just by tightening up the spokes? (Or is there a downside to overtightening them?)
2. Whether this is normal behavious for a new rear wheel after ~2000 miles?
3. Whether there are any known problems with Aksiums?

Thanks!
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like time for a wheel builder to have a look at them as it does sound excessive.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    If you're a big lad then you can get brake rub when out of the saddle on climbs, but pushing the wheel onto your frame by hand seems a bit OTT
    <a>road</a>
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Are you sure the freehub hasn't come loose?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • tgotb
    DesWeller wrote:
    Are you sure the freehub hasn't come loose?
    Yep, absolutely sure; the hub itself is fine, the wheel itself seems to have become very flexible...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Just back from LBS; apparently the wheel build itself isn't covered by Mavic's warranty, just the components. Options were either to ride it around for two weeks before the next available appointment with the wheel builder (by which time it'll probably be totally sh@gged) or try to sort it out myself; luckily I built a few wheels in my yoof.

I'm pretty disappointed though; I'm not the smallest guy around, and I do give it some beans uphill, but I'm sure a wheel should hold together for more than 2000 miles...

Any recommendations for a *stiff* and preferably not too heavy rear wheel, preferably close to 100 quid?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    TGOTB wrote:
    Just back from LBS; apparently the wheel build itself isn't covered by Mavic's warranty, just the components. Options were either to ride it around for two weeks before the next available appointment with the wheel builder (by which time it'll probably be totally sh@gged) or try to sort it out myself; luckily I built a few wheels in my yoof.

I'm pretty disappointed though; I'm not the smallest guy around, and I do give it some beans uphill, but I'm sure a wheel should hold together for more than 2000 miles...

Any recommendations for a *stiff* and preferably not too heavy rear wheel, preferably close to 100 quid?

Hello matey, I flat spotted my Aksiums and they flex when climbing, I now use a set of Planet-X C's very light and super strong and true all for only £100.

That said I think they need a service now after 9000+ miles :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Hmm, does sound a bit excessive.
    I spotted the first (possibly) serious issue with my Aksiums earlier after a good morning of feetling (new chain, cassette and set of tyres) meant I was having a good look at the wheels.
    Spotted some of the bladed spokes on the rear wasn't sitting straight straight was very loose. I tried tightening it but it doesn't seem to want to tighten up so I'm gonna pop the wheel off when I get back home and check the nipple in the rim :-(

Can't say I've noticed any flexing whilst climbing but then I might just not know what I'm feeling for!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5