Chain issues

stueyuk
stueyuk Posts: 11
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Hi all, newbie here.... :oops:

Please excuse the essay....

I have a cheap 21 speed hybrid which i use to commute to work on.

Have been using it for 6 months with no real issues. However, i have noticed recently that it is taking an age to change gear. I select it on the twist grip changer and it rattles for a bit and then might change. Sometimes i go two gears down just to make sure it changes once (if that makes sense...).

Through my tight-arsedness and sheer bloody mindedness, i don't want to take it somewhere to be fixed so i'm a bit of a DIYer. I bought a new 7 speed compatible chain (shimano HG50) and fitted it. To be sure, i counted the links on the old chain before fitting the new one and it would appear that the chain has streched by at least one links length (is that amount of give usual??). Anyway, on the ride in this morning i found that the something in the drivetrain is slipping. I was in 2nd gear (come on, it's a bloody big hill!!) and when the chainset was under heavyish load, it kept slipping. In the other gears used (18th, 19th, 21st) it seemed okay, might have slipped once but not noticable as in 2nd.

Could it be that the chain is simply wrong for my cheap set up?? It does look ever-so slightly thicker than the original... Or, could be the cassette is worn too....??

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers

Stuey

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well your first issue sounds like friction in the gear cables.

and as to your second problem yes chains do come in different widths and generally are not mixable.

keep everything the same speed and you will be fine.
    a couple of sites to have a read of when you have some time.

the Sheldon and Parktools sites in my sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stueyuk
    Thanks for replying Nicklouse.

Best go fish the old chain out of the bin then to compare widths..

By gear cable friction, do you mean that it's getting stuck in the guides or that the derailleur is sticking and not moving when changing gear??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the inner getting gunked up in the outer.

do you find it shift better one way IE up or down the block?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Could be stretch in the gear cables - if you've been using the bike for 6 months without tightening anything this is fairly likely. Basically the wires in the cables will stretch a bit as they age, meaning you gradually lose tension in the cables, and clicking to change 1 gear will in fact give <1 gear's worth of pull.

If you've got barrel adjusters on your gear cable try giving it a couple of turns to increase the tension, or if not then take all the tension out of the cable and manually pull a bit more cable through the derailleur by undoing the bolt securing the cable in place.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    You may need a new cassette and/or chain rings also, as your new chain slips on the old gear teeth, which have worn in parallel with the old chain. Can happen on some gears only if they are those that are more commonly used.
    <a>road</a>
  • stueyuk
    nicklouse wrote:
    the inner getting gunked up in the outer.

do you find it shift better one way IE up or down the block?

Tends to change better up the block from 7 through to 1.

The new chain helped with the gear changes but they still weren't perfect. Will try the barrel adjuster on the derailleur again (THANKS pbt150) but the slippage is particularl annoying.

Can't find the measurements of the HG50 anywhere.....

Doesn't mention 1/2 3/32 just says 7.3mm for width but according to the blurb should work well with a 7 speed...
  • stueyuk
    You may need a new cassette and/or chain rings also, as your new chain slips on the old gear teeth, which have worn in parallel with the old chain. Can happen on some gears only if they are those that are more commonly used.

That makes sense too el presidente..

I've been very meticulous with cleaning, degreasing and lubing the drivetrain (as i've been there before where the replacement drivetrain would cost more than the bike was worth...)
  • stueyuk
    Just wanted to let you guys know that it turned out to be the cassette that needed replacing (as well as the wheel after i got stuck in a tram track ffs!!).

Thanks for your advice

Stu