Tyres vs Distance vs Fitness

Breathless Commuter Man
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
My commute to work is my main source of exercise. I have been thinking about making this even better for me.

Should I cycle with fat tyres using a direct route or thin tyres over a longer route (but taking roughly the same time), assuming that I cannot spend any longer cycling and I am only concerned about fitness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ...Should I cycle with fat tyres using a direct route or thin tyres over a longer route ....

For me it would be thin tyres/longer route. More rewarding to ride fast than to slog. i don't know which would be "better" exercise, though, if either?

Cheers,
    W.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    It would certainly be more rewarding to use thin tyres and go further...

No idea about the exercise benefits though.

The only downside I see (and actually I would see this as a plus) is that with thin tyres and a longer route, you might find yourself tempted into thin tyres and the short route when you are in a hurry.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    One is going to be better cardio vascular training and the other better resistance training. Best thing to do is alternate.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What sort of "fitness" are you hoping to achieve? It's a word that gets bandied about for all sorts: stregth, aerobic fitness, weight loss, stamina? For strength (muscle building) the shorter, harder journey is probably the better. For fat burning, the longer easier one is likely to be better - beyond that, I don't know. What about a week of each?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't these the same thing?

You'll compensate for the fatter tyres by cycling in a lower gear. Since you're doing the same time interval at pretty much the same cadence, the exercise is going to be the same. You can forget the absolute speed on the road, and wind resistance will be factored out by the gears.

You might get some effects from having to accelerate up the bigger tyres, but I reckon it's going to be subtle.

Perhaps try dropping your cadence to build up strength or go on some longer weekend rides to build up endurance?
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I've recently switched from slicks to MTB knobbly tyres on my 24 mile round trip commute. The first day was pretty tough but after that it got easier and it now takes me the same time as it did when I was on slicks. The main difference I've noticed is that I can't just stop pedalling and freewheel for a bit without slowing down significantly; the result is that I seem to be putting in a bit more effort so as to maintain momentum. At least that's how it feels.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I'd go with slicks and the longer route - that way you can still do the short route if you're a bit pressed for time. Doing the short route is a lot better for you than not doing the longer route ;)

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It won't make much difference - unless you can find time to do a 30 minute ride but not a 32 minute ride!

The fatter tyres might be more comfortable on rougher surfaces and will probably last longer. I reckon your commute would have to be at least an hour and a half for the time saved using thin tyres to be useful.

Incidentally, I did the opposite to Frank M - changed from fat knobblies to fat slicks. No noticeable change in travel time, no noticeable change in gear use. Smoother, quieter ride - that's all. I'd imagine the change from narrow slicks to fat slicks would be even less noticeable.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    I would do the one I enjoyed most and not be worried if that was dependent on weather or what I had to carry into work that day.
    ChrisM
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    In the long term big fat tyres + long distances will find out any weaknesses out in your body.

My opinion is that these types of forum are populated by mainly healthy active cyclists, some possibly gung-ho about building up "strength".