Too much fettling????

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I went in to the garage several hours ago to lock my bike back up after the wife had been sorting stuff in there today.

My bike looked sort of dirty although it was clean before this weeks 3 dusty rides, so I suppose it wasn't exactly needing a wash, but it got one regardless.

Then I decided to remove the cranks and bottom bracket to give it a clean and lube as I had an annoying click on the last ride.

Then I thought I'd check my chain for stretch, it was 0.75% so I fitted a new chain.

Next, I took my fork lowers off to clean the seals and refresh the oil.

Then I decided to change the Stans sealant in my UST tyres because it's been in there a while, I noticed one of the valves was a bit gummed up with sealant so I stripped it and cleaned it out.

Finally the missus came out to tell me she was going to bed, so I thought I'd better call it a day.

Now I find myself on the internet talking about bikes.......

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bikitis. A bad case too.

But... did you do the headset? GET BACK OUT THERE. Work to be done!
  • Hope headset, only been in there two years, so it's still fine. ...........

I checked last week! :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My bike annoys the feck out of me. Anybody elses bike, I can fix no probs. My own, it is Murphy's law - if it can go wrong, it bloody well will do.
  • Does putting you're bike in the shed, then adopting the foetal position until it's dark,count as fettling?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lester Cat wrote:
    Does putting you're bike in the shed, then adopting the foetal position until it's dark,count as fettling?

No that is something else.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I forgot to mention that the mother-in-law is stopping with us at the moment, might have to see if the other bike is OK tonight, I'm sure I'll be able to find something to strip and clean!

Either that or I might light the fire pit!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I can go out to the garage to just get a some electrical tape or something, and come back a long time later having cleaned 3 or 4 bikes.
  • ctrlaltdel
    ctrlaltdel Posts: 114
    hehe I know this situation all too well... Spending an age in the garage and getting teased mercilessly for cleaning every last spec of grime off of eack jockey wheel is the price we pay for our hobbies I guess!
    Actually the price I pay for too much fettling is measured in £££'s when I end up screwing the bike up and having to take it to the shop :roll:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    go to shed / garage to fettle bikes ?
    no ,no ,no , kitchen is my bike workshop :D
    the joys of batchelor life.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I went in to the garage several hours ago to lock my bike back up after the wife had been sorting stuff in there today.
    cleaned it out.

I thought it looked too good to be true when you said your wife was sorting stuff in the garage? and she lets you spend hours tinkering with your bike?

Then it all becomes clear when the Mother-In-Law was brought into the equation, admit it you were both in there hiding from her :D

I`ve been known to vanish into thin air when my MIL comes round.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    RealMan wrote:
    I can go out to the garage to just get a some electrical tape or something, and come back a long time later having cleaned 3 or 4 bikes.

Know that feeling well...