Carrera Kraken 08 - Gears S ram x5

maxamo
maxamo Posts: 51
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi,
I have crashed my carrera kraken 08 model and snapped off the shifting gear for going up. The gears go from 1 - 9 and it is a x ram x5 the same one that came on the bike. Will i only need to replace the gear shifter on the handle bar?
How much would halfords charge to buy and fit a gear shifter?
If anyone has anylinks to where i can buy these cheap it would be a help
Or if anyone has any spares x5_triggershifter_large.jpg

Thanks
Max

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, just replace the whole shifter, ideally with another X5 or an X7 shifter because the cable pull will be the same meaning no need for a new cable inner. Very simple to swap over, just a few minute's work.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • maxamo
    Northwind

would a x5 or x7 really work? Im not very good with things like this but how do you change it over?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Look at Park Tools website.
  • maxamo
    still dont really get what you have to do :? :oops:
    opened up my broken one and there seems no way you can get the wire out if the round thing
    Any help :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also try the SRAM website and download the instructions.
  • maxamo
    I dont see what its saying. It wont let me take out the wire from the gear shifter it has like a small bit of metal so it doesnt go back through the whole :?
  • I think most new shifters come with a new cable inner with them. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. My X9 shifters came with inners.
  • maxamo
    yer this is the one i think i need. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sra ... gn=froogle

i just need to know how to fit it and do i need to put the wire in or is there some way i cant take the old one and put it in here?
    Might just let halfords do it
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You have to switch into the end gear with X5 (the one with the least cable pulled), then the cable just pushes out through the hole. It can be fiddly though.

X5 and X7 are very similiar, X7 is basically a better made X5 with more metal in it as far as I can tell, so the cable will be the right length etc. Course, you could replace the cable too but it's probably easier just to reuse what you have.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • maxamo
    didnt seem to work have taking it into halfords