To upgrade or not

milan_ns
milan_ns Posts: 49
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all :)

I've been commuting to work for a year now - 8 miles each way, in London (in sun, snow and rain). I also tend to do 30-90 mile rides on sunny weekends. No racing though.

Bike is standard Specialized Allez 27 2009 (tiagra & sora).

I'm contemplating an upgrade, but can't make up my mind about the value of this.

What would constitute a "noticeable" upgrade (budget up to say £1500)?
- upgrade groupset to 105/ultegra?
- get a new bike (something with 105 groupset)
- any other idea?

Basically don't want to spend a pile of cash for sake of saving few grams, but wouldn't mind investing in more "comfortable" bike (nicer grips, seat, smoother shifting, etc). I hope this makes sense.

Sooo, can anyone offer advice :)?

Thanks!

Comments

• HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Depends on a lot of things. Why are you thinking of upgrading? What is it about your current bike you don't like?

Grips and saddle can be replaced cheaply without needing a new bike. So how much does smoother shifting matter to you? And do you think you'd notice the difference between Tiagra and 105?

Rational arguments aside, if you love your cycling and think that a new bike would help you enjoy it more, and you're got the cash, then why not?

I'm guessing you paid 5 or 6 hundred for your Spesh. To get a noticeable difference in quality you'd be looking at spending about a grand.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    2 questions/points:

Only worth spending lots on an upgrade if the spesh's frame is worthy of the upgraded components, I'm guessing not but dont know. If that's the case best to get a whole new bike, at your price point the best value I'd say would be a boardman or focus bike. I have the focus cayo and I think the ultegra equipped version is just in your bracket. It's frame would be worth future upgrades.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360045301/

I have one and it's very good.

If the spesh's frame is ok then the 2 areas you will notice upgrades are drivetrain and wheels. Ultegra is a big step up from tiagra, you'll certainly notice the improvement. Wheels are probably the best thing to upgrade first on any bike, planet X model B wheels were on offer recently at £99 a pair and will definitely be better than those on your spesh.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... b-wheelset
  • milan_ns
    Thanks for the quick response.

Basically, I was hoping someone would shed some light on why do non-racers spend so much money on high-end bikes...

Is there some noticeable benefit in splashing £1.5k on a road bike, as opposed to £500, apart from saving few grams?

The above mentioned is my first road bike, so have nothing to compare it to.

I'm leaning towards just upgrading smaller components (seat & shifters)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The components can be slicker and longer lasting ie smoother gear shifts for example.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Allez is a pretty good frame. When I was considering one a few years ago it was described in most publications a 'very upgradable'. For a grand you could get a full groupset upgrade, new bars, wheels and a saddle that would transform the bike completely.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • milan_ns
    I forgot to ask...

How do pricier road bikes deal with potholes / bad weather (do they degrade "quickly")?

Since upgrading tyres to Continental GP 4000 4 Seasons I had zero punctures - however, wheels are not quite circle shaped any more :)

Do expensive bikes require more maintenance and are they suited for all-weather/potholes commuting?
  • supersonic
    Very light wheels may be more susceptible to damage. But they may be better built, and that is important.

Many of the parts will be better sealed, so will require less maintenance ie hubs, headsets, bottom brackets.
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Do expensive bikes require more maintenance and are they suited for all-weather/potholes commuting?

The average cycle commute causes a lot of wear and tear to bikes, which is why owners of expensive bikes tend to have a winter/bad weather/commute bike as well as their racing machine. It's not that expensive parts wear out quicker, it's just that when they do, they're more expensive to replace!

There are a few high-end items I would NOT use on the commute, such as carbon wheels, because they are expensive and could be destroyed by one pothole!

Another thought: If your wheels are buckled, maybe you need to examine your riding technique and also your road positioning before you upgrade to anything more expensive. Not having a dig - just a thought.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    As has been said above it depends on your frame, for me it isn't (Giant SCR) so i'll be buying a new bike so I've got a whole range of interesting new questions :lol:

The next issue is how much it will cost, for the price of a decent upgrade you could possibly get a new bike with the components you want - daft but true. As a minimum, I would upgrade to full Tiagra as the Sora shifters are nowhere near as good as the Tiagra ones, i would also do the wheels as that will also make a huge difference - handmade may be worth considering.

Either way you get to spend ages thinking about how you want to spend the money and lookings at lots of nice shiny new bike stuff which is always fun.

Final question I suppose is, who is going to do the upgrade - you, LBS or someone else as this will need to be factored into your budget
  • alexz
    alexz Posts: 13
    get a specialized bike fit and a bike tuneup.

a few adjustments might make an improvement to your cycling, and the tuneup may help shifting if things are getting sticky.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    milan_ns wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response.

Basically, I was hoping someone would shed some light on why do non-racers spend so much money on high-end bikes...

Is there some noticeable benefit in splashing £1.5k on a road bike, as opposed to £500, apart from saving few grams?

The above mentioned is my first road bike, so have nothing to compare it to.

I'm leaning towards just upgrading smaller components (seat & shifters)
    What car do you drive?

A Kia or a Proton is fast enough to reach any speed limit and has airbags.

Why does anyone who isn't Lewis Hamilton buy a Mercedes?
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    - proper bike fit
    - comfy saddle (Fizik Aliante, Charge Knife?)
    - WIDER TYRES! (GP4000 25mm, Gatorskin 28mm?)
    - gel handlebar tape with extra gel pads underneath
    - Gore sealed cables
    - a good tune up

That's all you need to enhance your comfort and overall riding experience.
    Fit and customisation are more important than the groupset level and the price of the bike.

Why do non-racers spend so much on bikes?
    Perhaps to compensate for not riding enough or weighing too much? :)

... me recently... :oops:
  • supersonic
    Because they have the money lol. I would do the same.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Milan I have two bikes, each costing very similar to the prices you mentioned and I have to say I can notice a huge difference between the two of them. The more expensive bike is a dream to ride and just seems so much smoother on the gears.

Incidentally I use my cheaper bike for commuting so I can deal with all of London's pot-holes whilst I save my other bike for longer rides at the weekend.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    First thing I'd recommend upgrading on an Allez is the tyres.
    Then then wheels.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    In the same boat as you, Allez Sport, although it was my first Sportive that has got me lusting for something smoother and lighter (& C2W). I'd probably keep the Allez as the 'hack bike' for winter and pannier duties.

So far my research points towards the Boardman Carbon but Halfords is a gamble and a few components need upgrading from the go, notably brakes.

Focus Cayo 105, looks like lots of bike for the money.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360045298/

& the CAAD9 Tiagra or 105

Have to say, an 8kg Carbon bike sounds very appealing, I'm a light guy and can really feel the difference a few kilos makes to the frame with my panniers on.

Saying that, my Allez did a sterling job at its first sportive, it was my legs that left people behind, not the bike.

I guess you need an extended test ride to decide whether you'll feel any upgrade.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I would not bother upgrading things like your groupset until parts are starting to wear out. You'll barely notice the difference and it'll cost you a lot of money.

If you have £1500 spare, then you can definitely afford a bike which will give you a noticeably better ride (where "better" can mean anything from smoother to faster to nippier to longer-lasting to more comfortable). Once you go above this level, you are likely to be in the £xxx for x grams improvement kind of territory.

If you don't yet want to spend £1500 - and you do have a perfectly decent, functioning bike - then yes, tyres, grips and saddle, and perhaps rear derailleur, bars, pedals, wheels, are things you can upgrade for a reasonable price which may give you a better riding experience.
  • milan_ns
    Thanks for all your advice.

I think I'll just service my Allez and continue using it for daily commute.... and purchase another nicer bike for weekends... via C2W if I can :)

Specialized Roubaix Elite seems nice...

Thanks again guys!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    milan_ns wrote:
    Thanks for all your advice.

I think I'll just service my Allez and continue using it for daily commute.... and purchase another nicer bike for weekends... via C2W if I can :)

Specialized Roubaix Elite seems nice...

Thanks again guys!

Good man, the old +1 principle is always the way to go!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    could get yourself a condor squadra with veloce groupset for that kinda money which includes proper fiting and handbuilt wheels pretty much to your spec
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14