Tri-bars and TT bikes on club rides?

hazychris
hazychris Posts: 202
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Just wanted to get a few opinions (not cropped up in our club before, but has now, and we'd like to see what other clubs do!).

Do you permit tri-bars on clubs runs?
Do you permit full aero lo-pro TT bikes on club runs?

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    NO club runs are for fun!!.Not some silly sod trying out his time trial bike or aero bars. DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME.You do not have control of your bike 100% when you are riding on try bars.So if in a club run you take out half the club run if someone in front of you breaks quickly.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    I've ridden in groups with people with a few tri bars.

Seems fine to me.

Probably worth not being tucked when you're in the middle of the group, since it makes no difference anyway.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Course not, tri bars in club runs are not really welcome in club runs. Imagine if you crashed into the back of someone too.
  • Why would you want to ride a TT bike in a group? The whole point is that it is faster when riding solo....
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I ride my tt training bike on club runs - no probs as I stay on the bull bars so have full contol of brakes etc. Only go on tri bars when riding to and from the meeting place. The more miles on the tt bike the better as it trains the muscle groups more specifically (although obviously not as well as it would if I were on the tri bars).
  • Not allowed. Been a few instances of people coming out in the past and getting on the tri-bars, only to go into the back of someone because they can't reach the brakes. Doesn't matter who you are or how well you claim you can handle the bike, you're getting told to go home.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've ridden with clip ons on a club ride, just didn't have time to take them off. No problem as I didn't use them.

We've had people come out with us on their TT bike to give it a run out before a race (tri) or TT. No one was getting down on the bars, just riding normally, and having to piss about a bit to change gear.

I think the key is for people to not actually use the tri bars while in the group ride - the fact the bars are on the bike makes no real difference. It's not actually a habit people get into though, there's normally extenuating circumstances as to why they're using it.