Decent mitts - Dromarti vs Rapha

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The class system rears it's ugly head again. What is your definition of middle class in the 21st century? I had hoped we could all have binned that in the 20th century or at least room 101.

Next time I pass through Dundee I may take a detour off the Kingsway and have a look for neds wearing Rapha gear. You never know stranger things have happened.

Give Liz a big hello from Aberdeen and tell her she has no chance of winning the First Monster until she learns how to ride a road bike.
    She's very competitive & wasn't happy about last year's result...

As for class, I'd have thought it was obvious that middle class means "nice people like me"
  • Do they have to be leather? I've been using Assos mitts for a few years now and find them pretty good...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This is one of those threads that I wished I hadn't started ....... thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. Even if some weren't welcome .......
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sorry. Buy the Rapha ones, they're great.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm glad you started it; most amusing!

Now I need to know which pair you bought, and what you think of them.

I have fond memories of a pair of Halfords mitts which if it rained would stain my hands black for days after a ride.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I'd seriously go for the Giro ones I mentioned earlier. Despite having more Rapha gear than is healthy for any one individual, I was very very impressed with the quality of the long finger versions I bought last year.

The pittards leather they use is really quite waterproof, and they don't take on sweat stains so easily. The quality of build is on par with Rapha, and as pointed out earlier, they are only about £40 (£60 I quoted was for the LF's), which I think is really good value.

They look every bit as nice as the Rapha mitts.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Whichever you buy you will end up with the daft tanned patch on the back of your hand because of the hole in the glove :lol:
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Rokkala wrote:
    Whichever you buy you will end up with the daft tanned patch on the back of your hand because of the hole in the glove :lol:

Isn't that the point of cycling clothing to get the most rediculous tan lines? The daft patch is the sign of a true cyclist just like a person with one white hand is a golfer...
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Rokkala wrote:

isn't that the reason for wearing those crochet backed gloves, to get proper "glove spots" so you look like a real cyclist?
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    Liz McColgan riding a bike? she hadn't got the leg strength to muuster a sprint finish never mind push pedals :lol:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Giant,

You might want to have a look at the Assos ones at Ribble. No leather though.

Gabriel
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Do you avoid that terrible sweaty glove smell (which I have always assumed is due to the use of syntethic materials) with leather gloves? Surely that's worth the Rapha asking price alone (or maybe the Giros)...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Philip S wrote:
    Do you avoid that terrible sweaty glove smell (which I have always assumed is due to the use of syntethic materials) with leather gloves? Surely that's worth the Rapha asking price alone (or maybe the Giros)...

You don't want to start a whole "smell the glove" thing again do you? :wink:

In answer to your question, no sweaty smells from the Raphas.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Giant,

Gabriel
    I'm not going down the Assos route again. I have bought lots of Assos gloves and mitts in the past and tbh I love assos, always buy their shorts etc. always have but I don't think they do gloves as well as they do other kit, thanks anyway.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Giant,

Gabriel
    I'm not going down the Assos route again. I have bought lots of Assos gloves and mitts in the past and tbh I love assos, always buy their shorts etc. always have but I don't think they do gloves as well as they do other kit, thanks anyway.

You should try their knee warmers then, probably the worst piece of kit they make!
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    If you want retro looking mitts, Gore make some nice ones. They used to be made from leather, but judging from this site, it seems the latest versions use synthetic leather.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... s-ec018319

I've had a pair for a few years.- they look great and they wear much better than other mitts I've had and don't smell so bad either when I'm away cycle touring so wearing them most of the day. The negative I've had with them is that the velcro clasp at the wrist isn't well designed, its always coming off.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Both those pairs of mitts you're looking at seem fine, however i'd be going for these;

http://www.funfancydress.com/darth-vade ... -wars.html

:wink:
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    daviesee wrote:
    What's wrong with being sexy? :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Philip S wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    What's wrong with being sexy? :D

Oh. Mine was a football reference. Never mind..............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    DaSy wrote:
    I too have no idea why people feel the need to get upset about someone else spending money on something they want. This money was presumably not taken out of the mouths of their children etc...

I have 2 pairs of Rapha mitts, the crochet and a special edition pair of Grand Tour gloves, and I actually get pleasure from owning and wearing them, as they are very well made, from high quality materials. This is something you won't get from Aldi etc, they may be functional, but they lack anything that makes you proud to own them. This may be shallow in some peoples eyes, but we all make decisions on what we deem as worthwhile in our lives.

Just to throw another name in the mix, I bought a pair of Giro LX LF long finger gloves for winter, and the quality of leather and fit are absolutely excellent. They do a mitt version in all leather that is very nice, and a fair bit cheaper at around £60.

There's a write up here at Competitive Cyclist -http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-apparel/2009-giro-lx-gloves-5626.13.1.html

10784_i_1.jpg
    On the surface these look great. At half the price of the Rapha GT mitts, good value. And leather, and ooh all black do look good. BUT some reviews from buyers on the CC site tell me they ain't all that, with the black from the palms leaking onto riders' bar tape and stitching coming undone. Not something I want to read, you know? It's looking as though I may give the Raphas a look .........
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    That has certainly not happened with the long finger version, I have white bar tape, and have not seen any leakage of colour from them. I have been more than impressed with the build quality of them, and have just ordered a pair of the mitts for summer, as I don't have any white gloves to go with my new Sidi's....I'll let you know what I think in the fullness of time.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • giant_man
    OK DaSy thanks ..... i must admit, the complaints I read on the CC web site were of course from US riders, where it's always warmer over there. Might not be an issue on our cooler shores ......
  • What, has no-one bought the Dromarti ones? Really?

Just got some Dromarti Gara Rosso mitts this morning and did a nice 50km cycle around town in them. These are absolutely exquisite mitts, and the new gem of my collection. I have the Rapha Grand Tour gloves in white goatskin, their town gloves, winter gloves, and recently got the paul smith track gloves too. The track gloves are equally exquisite, by the way. They share the same material: african hairsheep leather.

I also have the Giro LX, LX LF, Zero, and Remedy gloves.

The style of the dromarti mitts is pretty much exactly as the goatskin rapha grand tours, but the racing red hairsheep is just a real pleasure to wear. Best mitts I own, by far. The padding seems to be the same as in the rapha track gloves. I appreciate the padding as much as my comfortable saddle, it absorbs pretty much all the remaining handlebar vibration I get on the road, which is really great considering how thin and pliable even the padding is.

It's also worth mentioning, if customer service is a consideration, that from my experience all evidence suggests that Dromarti's customer service is as superb as their products.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    What, has no-one bought the Dromarti ones? Really?

Just got some Dromarti Gara Rosso mitts this morning and did a nice 50km cycle around town in them. These are absolutely exquisite mitts, and the new gem of my collection. I have the Rapha Grand Tour gloves in white goatskin, their town gloves, winter gloves, and recently got the paul smith track gloves too. The track gloves are equally exquisite, by the way. They share the same material: african hairsheep leather.

I also have the Giro LX, LX LF, Zero, and Remedy gloves.

The style of the dromarti mitts is pretty much exactly as the goatskin rapha grand tours, but the racing red hairsheep is just a real pleasure to wear. Best mitts I own, by far. The padding seems to be the same as in the rapha track gloves. I appreciate the padding as much as my comfortable saddle, it absorbs pretty much all the remaining handlebar vibration I get on the road, which is really great considering how thin and pliable even the padding is.

It's also worth mentioning, if customer service is a consideration, that from my experience all evidence suggests that Dromarti's customer service is as superb as their products.

So many pairs of gloves.... You're weird! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    dromarti got reviewed on TWMP recently - lokk nice but £100!! Knog have some nice looking leather ones. But you pays your money.....
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    dromarti got reviewed on TWMP recently - lokk nice but £100!! Knog have some nice looking leather ones. But you pays your money.....

Actually it was TWMP that led me to them :) After I got the hairsheep track gloves I decided I needed to get hold of some hairsheep mitts. I had to check with Dromarti that the mitts were hairsheep though, since it isn't mentioned anywhere in their marketing or on TWMP, which is strange because I would have thought that was quite an important point. It's pretty much the key to the fit and feel.

I was actually delighted to get them for £95. They look like a special edition of the grand tour mitts, only 100 are made, they're made from a better leather, and they cost £5 less. Red is my favourite colour, and I have lots of red stuff, so there really was no getting away from this purchase for me :)
  • @giantmancp - i have a brand new pair of the Rapha Grand Tour glove which I was about to put in the Classifieds section. Got them atthe recent sample sale, they're an XL size. Yours for £45.
  • giant_man
    Why - don't you like them The KK? Black or white btw?

Had a bad experience lately with the Rapha Winter gloves recently so not sure ....
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    woooooooah what was wrong with the winter gloves?? I was lining them up for next winter...tell all
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I bought a pair of the Rapha winter gloves over a year ago and the first thing I noticed on a cold day was that my hands were f'kin freezing! Contacted Rapha and got a % off my next purchase, can't remember how much. Soon after, their website had an added notice re the gloves, stating they were not suitable for temperatures below 5c I think!! Winter gloves? I think not. In hindsight I should have sent them back, they are great gloves for a day like today when it's chilly but on a really cold day I wear silk liners with them, which does the job.
    Now looking at the latest gloves it looks like they have sorted out the problems, as the newer version look more of a winter glove. On a positive note the right hand glove recently had a hole develop near the thumb which was repaired very well, for free. I was hoping they were beyond repair and that they would send me a new pair, no such luck!