Gear Change Advice

nstevo
nstevo Posts: 42
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, I am quite new to this cycling thing. I commute 11 miles each way per day on a hilly route, which means I often go from a 30mph downhill in top gear, straight into a steep uphill which I need the granny cogs. My question is; how do I sensibly change gears to get ready for the uphill without (a) changing on the way down and having my legs spinning like billio, or (b)changing on the way up and getting a horrible crunch as I go through the gears. Its difficult to 'lift off' as I change down without losing momentum.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    nstevo wrote:
    OK, I am quite new to this cycling thing. I commute 11 miles each way per day on a hilly route, which means I often go from a 30mph downhill in top gear, straight into a steep uphill which I need the granny cogs. My question is; how do I sensibly change gears to get ready for the uphill without (a) changing on the way down and having my legs spinning like billio, or (b)changing on the way up and getting a horrible crunch as I go through the gears. Its difficult to 'lift off' as I change down without losing momentum.

Any advice appreciated.
    You can change gears when freewheeling. All that needs to be happening is for the cranks to be rotating - the wheels can be going round much faster than the freewheel. i.e. you don't have to "spin out" to get ready for the hill.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I usually drop down a chain-ring , for me it works perfect for taking corners and a sharp change in gradient, it can be timed when you freewheel.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    my technique just under 40 mph downhill big front small rear cog; as i start to climb gradually move in 3/4 cogs on the back which can be done pedalling full tilt, then drop down a ring on the front as speed dips down towards 20 mph. The trick to avoid the crunch is to change earlier on the ascent so that you are still spinning nicely and not brute forcing up the hill.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Nice chapter in ' cyclecraft' by john franklin on just this subject under cycling in the countyside as i remember......