Discover Rutland/Cicle Classic

DIESELDOG
DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
Hello Chaps and Chapeses.

Just a quick heads up to those that did yesterdays ride. How did you find it? How were the feed stations? I know we ran out of bananas at Owston so sorry if you missed out.

Any feed back would be great for next year, see you in Oakham in about 1hour 30 for the big one if you're going.
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk

Comments

• mattisard
    mattisard Posts: 12
    Was really looking forward to the event.

the signs were not located in particulary good places, i was one of about 30 cyclists that made a 10 mile detour towards stamford, because of teh location of teh signs. If the signs were positioned opposite the junction, or 20metres or so before, then that would have helped a lot.

The route was not recieved until a few days before, so for some of us who have no idea what cycling around Oakham is like, we had no chance to recce the route. The website said that the course was 100miles, first half undulating second half hilly. 18% gradient is not undulating.

In other sportives i have done, cyclists have been set off in groups of around 20 and this has been great for meeting new fellow cyclists and improved the atmosphere of the event.
  • I did the extra miles as well (112 for the day!) fantastic event about as traffic free as you could hope for and the course was great. Well organised and everyone seemed to be having a great time

you even managed to get the weather sorted!

nice one!
    how can I be skinny and fat at the same time
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 65
    I did the 100 miles event with a couple of friends and we were joined by another rider until the first feedstop until he unfortunately suffered a mechanical .This was sorted out by your mobile bike repair man --fantastic service .
    The route was great ,challenging ,very quiet roads --where were all the cars in Rutland--and the hills were steep !
    Feedstations were adequate for me ,we're riding , not doing a gourmet challenge , I presume that you were hoping to have more on offer but I saw the note on your last email re being let down by the cateres at the last minute .Your helpers were all err.. very helpful !
    I've never cycled in the area before,I'd been in the car to Rutland water in the past ,but I will now be over in your area this summer asap on the bike .
    The only thing I would change would be to have brighter signs eg see kilotogo.com signage it's magenta and shows up really well .
    Thankyou for a great event and terrific weather really made for a great day out .
  • Bart Puss
    Bart Puss Posts: 169
    Well entered on a whim just before entries closed...did n`t look at a map just relied on the signings to guide me round. Thought the signage was excellent...only time I nearly missed a turning I was too busy gawping at a low cut top.

Only thing I found a bit odd was the feed station/checkpoint with 13 mils to go ???.

A nice event with some corking short climbs.... thanks.
    MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW
  • DIESELDOG
    Thanks, please keep the feedback coming. It's only the second year so we're still learning.

I'll point Ian in this direction, especially the comment about the last feed station.

DD

• Fantastic route. I considered doing the "Tour of the Peak District" on the same day, but like far too many sportifs, that sticks to mostly main roads. The organisers here had done the work to find lanes that were virtually traffic free. Lots of short steep hills. Of course the weather helped and generally great day's cycling.
    We also did the extra 12 miles having missed a sign in South Witham (because we were over-excited about overtaking a group!), but can't really blame the organisation for that - signing was generally excellent.
    I recorded 7,000 feet of climbing ( including the extra miles) and my computor is generally pretty accurate - I thought I had seen a much lower figure published somewhere - Did anyone else get a climbing total?
    the older i get, the faster i was.
  • DIESELDOG
    Glad you liked the route, my better half came up with it. Someone wanted to nut him last year! Very challenging for the latter part of it.

• MrIP
    MrIP Posts: 91
    This is my second time to do this sportive, the route was brilliant as was the weather. No problem with the route markers but I know the area.

Only negative my children thought the bike numbers were better last year !

Keep up the good work and see you next year.

Mrip
  • M Currell
    M Currell Posts: 15
    Thiswas my second time doing this event.The signage was better than last year although there were one or two signs that were hidden round corners and not visiable to the last minute.The idea to tie a peice of cloth to a post a little way after the turn was a good idea letting you know you were going the right way.
    It would also be nice to have a link to download the route to a gps.
    Feed stations were better this year as last year ,last feed station was at about 60 miles too early .In my opinion only 2 feed stations are required,first one about 35-40 miles and second one about 70 miles.
    Fantastic route plenty of hills,on your web site it states approx 4000 feet of ascent.both years i have recorded just over 7000 feet according to my garmin.
    All your marshall's were very helpfull at the start and out on the route.Only down side was lack of catering before and after the event.
    All in all a great day,i will be back again next year.