Sheared Bolt

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited April 2010 in The workshop
While learning how to operate a torque wrench, I managed to shear a bolt that holds on my bar ends. Oopsie!

I reckon I can get the sheared bolt out by sawing a groove in the end and using a screwdriver to get it out. I read that on another post on here last night (thanks!)

What I want to know is where I can replace this bolt from? Do I simply get the measurements of the length and width of it and go to B&Q or do I need to get the originally part manufacturer to supply a part?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I would take the good one off the other side and nip into your LBS to see if they have any lying around.
    As well as size i would imagine it would need to same angle thread , assuming you have not done the threads inside the bar end :shock:

Mind you i have just split my dust seal on my head set and i have been told i need a to order a whole set as you cannot buy just a seal .........
    FCN 3/5/9
  • bill_gates
    I've felt pretty good that I managed to get the sheared bolt out using the screwdriver method and using a hack-saw to create a slot to allow me to turn it. That's a feat for a total non cycle techy like me. Chuffed at that. 8-)

I've tried the bolt from the other bar-end on this one and it still runs smooth so no damage to the threads which is good news.

I just need to get one of the bolts. I measured it's length, its 200mm long and appears to be 5mm wide (is that the head or thread) but the head is flat and the thread doesn't go all the way to the head/crown.

• Red_Nose
    Red_Nose Posts: 3
    200mm sounds a bit too long, should be more like 20mm.

The part without thread is the shank, i would guess you need a M5x20 cap head bolt (Allen key cap 20mm in length 15mm of it threaded with a 5mm shank).

Local bike shop should have some knocking about. B&Q should have same length and thread but you might have to compromise on the head i.e. have a Hex or Cross head.
  • bill_gates
    20mm is probably correct.

Here is a picture that I took of the undamaged one to help pass the time.

166ko61.jpg

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Looking at that bolt I'd say you need to go to the LBS and get an exact replacement. It has the unthreaded shank which probably is needed for proper function (although maybe not, a photo of the barend bolt hole would help). You're not likely to find anything similar from any bolt suppliers.